Will the wheel fit the frame?

Abra
Abra Posts: 338
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Morning Chaps and chapettes!

I’m just about to click BUY on a set of customer rims from Superstar then saw the small print 'no refunds'... Can one of you nice guys answer a couple of questions before I buy?

Build is as follows:

Adaptor Inc F: QR Adaptor
Adaptor Inc R: QR Adaptor
Hub Type Front: Tesla front hub - red
Hub Type Rear: Red Trizoid Enduro EVO QR
Nipples: Brass
Rim: Mavic EX729 Disk Black
Rimtape: Tube type - free of charge
Spokes: Black double butted SAPIM race spokes

The bikes is currently fitted with standard giant rims: CR18 double wall aluminium Formula disc Formula disc Black stainless steel

To be fitted to a Giant Talon 2 - 2010 model

if you've made it this far questions are below:

1. Will the wheel fit the frame?
2. Is there any benefit to getting the tubeless rim tape?
3. What’s the difference between the 21mm and 25mm tubeless Rimtape? why are there two sizes?
4. What’s the benefit of the better spokes?

Appreciate the help and look forward to some answers! :D
DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    1. Yes, assuming you have the correct adaptors for the hubs. But, the 729 is probably the most pointlessly hardcore, heavy rim you could choose. The width is probably unnecessary too, as you'd run out of tyre clearance in the frame before you got any use out of the rim width. You'd also be seriously restricting how narrow a tyre you could use. You'd probably kill every other part on the bike, frame included, before you would one of those.
    2. Probably not. If you went tubeless on Mavic rims, you'd probably want a proper rimstrip anyway, not tape.
    3. To better match the internal width of the rim.
    4. Depends on what spoke, but lighter, stonger, stiffer, blingier, etc.
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    Ok so im picking the wrong rim to begin with! which is a decent A/M rim for anything up to red trails?

from superstar of course!
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Crest or Arch Ex would get my vote, although 'all mountain' and 'up to red trails' are at odds, I'd use Podiums without too much worry on that sort of thing!
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I have ex729 on my dh bike and they're probably overkill on that. You might want to look at a Tesla rear hub as you can change the axles for if you change bikes or want to go for bolt thru
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    I've just bought the pacenti rims on Tesla hubs from superstar, haven't had a chance to ride them yet but are pretty light and well built from my cursory look at them! I'll be riding pretty rocky trails in the cheviots so these should be tough enough, I was told they were like the Flows but at roughly the Crest weight.

As said above I would look at a tesla rear hub as you can change the axle if you swap them to another bike. Don't know how much your custom set up was going to cost but the pacenti offer is £259.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    No refunds? If buying online your are protected by distance selling regulations