XML T6 light not working - anyone had these symptoms?

majormantra
majormantra Posts: 2,094
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
On a road ride the other day my T6 light stopped shining brightly, producing just a tiny, tiny amount of light. I assumed the battery was the problem but it seems to be behaving normally. The light still cycles through its modes but the LED doesn't seem to be working properly.

Anyone had this? I'm a bit annoyed as this is the second time this light has failed. The first time a bad solder joint caused the coil thing inside to come adrift.

This time when I pulled it apart there was nothing obviously wrong, and since I've had it for well over a year there's not a lot I can do. Any thoughts?

It's one of these btw: sku_82510_1.jpg

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Try screwing the lens on and off, the sons did something similar and it mysteriously fixed it, problem never came back!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • majormantra
    I've fully disassembled the thing to no avail already I'm afraid. I seem to have very bad luck with lights...
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Buy cheap, buy twice n all that. I've got a spare light head you can have though. It cut out completely on a ride once, couldnt get the front off to get into it, but Im assuming it needs resoldering. If you can resolder it then it'll probably be fine I'd guess.
  • majormantra
    styxd wrote:
    Buy cheap, buy twice n all that. I've got a spare light head you can have though. It cut out completely on a ride once, couldnt get the front off to get into it, but Im assuming it needs resoldering. If you can resolder it then it'll probably be fine I'd guess.

PM'd you. :)
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Does it work without the reflector on?
  • majormantra
    Nope.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Happened to mine recently, like last week. Friend sorted it. Told me it was the controller chip for the switch. New switch from Maplin, sorted, although just on/off now rather than a cycle of different beams, but good enough for me.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    RandG wrote:
    Happened to mine recently, like last week. Friend sorted it. Told me it was the controller chip for the switch. New switch from Maplin, sorted, although just on/off now rather than a cycle of different beams, but good enough for me.

Happened to one of mine a few months ago. If the emitter still works if you connect a battery directly to the + and - contact points on the front of the you can bypass all the circuitry and wire a remote switch and power plug directly to the emitter. I used an old handlebar light switch from a set of Electron halogen lights. You don't get any modes, just on and off. But on the plus side, without the power management circuitry the light runs a bit brighter (the emitters max output and the protection circuit on the battery pack sets the upper amp draw limit).