Mudguards for a Specialized Secteur

jameses
jameses Posts: 653
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
After a few weeks of cleaning winter crap off my bike after every ride, I figure I need some mudguards :roll: Received wisdom seems to be either Crud road racers, SKS chromoplastics or SKS raceblades. I'm riding a Specialized Secteur (so I have mudguard eyelets at the rear but not at the front) with 25mm tyres. Anyone have any experience with a similar setup?

Thanks.

Comments

• Slacey
    Slacey Posts: 78
    Cruds fit fine, no problem with 23's and 25's clear just about with careful setup.
    Freelance Journalist
    ex-Team Cycling Plus 2011
    Three Boardmans and a Spesh,
    numerous test rigs
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Slacey wrote:
    Cruds fit fine, no problem with 23's and 25's clear just about with careful setup.

+1
    forget the RaceBlades....I used a set on my commute bike and their rubbish :evil: rattle all over the place and dont offer half the protection of the Cruds.
    Chromos are the best but you need eyelets (?) oh and they are heavier :shock:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I couldn't get Cruds working with 25mm, in fact 23mm meant a lot of constant adjustment for me. I much prefer the SKS Raceblade Longs as they are much more solid and provide great protection but removing/replacing takes a minute or two longer. All a matter of choice though.

Incidentally, having used both, I can honestly say that both companies are superb when it comes to after sales service and support.
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    Hi James,
    I found that the only mudguards that would fit my 2010 Secteur were Crud Roadracers. There is only the minimum 4mm clearance between tyre and brake. Also even Cruds only fit with 23mm tyres and not 25mm. My mate's 2012 Secteur has much more clearance. Don't' know what the 2011 model is like.
    Regards, EarlyGo
  • Brynd
    Brynd Posts: 39
    I have run Continental 28mm tyres with Crud Roadracers on a 2011 Secteur Sport. However the Tektro brake calipers bridge over the tyre on one side lower than the frame mounting so the crud racers rest on the brakes instead of the frame and as the brakes are applied it pushes the guard over. So got a little rubbing when braking. My new bike has Shimano 105 brake calipers and they bridge over the tyre higher than the frame so the cruds rest correctly on the frame. So fit may depend on the brakes you have fitted.
  • jameses
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like cruds are probably the way to go (2011 secteur with ultegra brakes). Will head down to the LBS and make sure they fit before parting with cash, though!
  • jameses
    Finally got around to fitting the Cruds the other day, got out for a ride today. Have to say, I'm very impressed with them! A bit fiddly to set up (especially if you don't pay much attention to the video :roll: ), took maybe an hour to do them both, but no problems so far and they work beautifully. Went for a flat 20 mile ride with plenty of standing water and the bike looks as clean at the end as it did when I started! :D

I found there's just enough clearance with 25mm tyres but it would be a struggle with 28s, especially at the back. No hacksawing needed, thankfully!
  • Sorry for digging up an old thread, but how did you manage to get the cruds to fit? I've got a 2012 Secteur and have changed the brakes to Shimano which have slightly better clearance than the Tektros. The cable tie fixing point under the caliper makes it too tight on the rear with my 25mm tyres. I've not taken a hacksaw to them yet but cant see how you can make them fit.

I could potentially route the guard over the top of the caliper but that's not ideal.

2012 secteur
    Shimano Tiagra calipers
    4mm clearance between frame/caliper and tyre
    crud road 2
    too tight under the caliper/frame

Looked at Crud videos, and so far Crud support have only pointed me at the videos
    Any suggestions?
  • Currently the rear guard is routed over the top of the brake calliper which looks horrible but may actually work.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I couldnt get cruds on my 2010 Secteur Comp (the black & white one) with 25mm tyres, and neither could my LBS.

The SKS Raceblades XL were the only ones that would fit, and although 95% of the time they are fine, they do rattle and slip out of position sometimes.

Now I never use mudguards (I only ever ride alone) and I just accept a wet / dirty back!
  • I managed to get Cruds and raceblade longs on 2011 and a 2013 Secteur with 25mm tyres. Cruds were fine when first fitted but got a bit rattle and rub when refitted. Raceblades are defo more secure but don't give as good coverage and front section rattles a bit.
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    Mark,

If you only have 4mm clearance then you'll need to fit 23mm tyres. (See my post above.) I'm surprised that you have so little clearance though, as my mate's 2012 Secteur has about 7mm.

Regards, EarlyGo
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Being a bit of a tinkerer if i was going to fit Cruds under a tight rear brake/bridge i would modify them.
    Cut out the section that would pass under the rear brake,
    Replace with a strip of aluminium shaped to match the curve of the tyre,
    Pop rivet the guards back on either side of the brake/bridge with the flat rivet heads underneath,
    Fix with cable tie or better still a bracket to the brake/bridge.
    A bit like the genuine Giant mudguards for the Defy.
    Job done :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Decisions decisions....
    Front is tight but fits (also about 4mm).
    Rear just won't go.

I could invest in a pair of 700x23 about £50 for a pair of gator skins
    I could just use the mountain bike style thing I've been using up to now which keeps your back dry but front mech and anyone following still gets covered
    I could leave it looking like a roller-coaster over the top of the rear brake
    I could bodge up a thinner bridge although to be honest I doubt I'd get anything thinner than the supplied kit
    I could get a 26" rear wheel
    I could just get wet and wash the bike down after each ride.

Need to try the x23 off the good bike and see how that fits then go from there.
    I suspect the cruds are still just about send backable as I've not taken a hacksaw to them yet.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Have a read through this thread where the OP has taken a creative approach to mudguard fitting on his Cannondale

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12957674&p=18730802&hilit=SKS+Mudguards#p18730802

Might not be a total solution to your problems with the Secteur but could give you some pointers and ideas of alternative ways to go.
  • Pair of gator 700x23's in the post :)
  • jameses
    It is a bit of a squeeze, but I mounted the 'legs' of the cruds a bit higher up the seatstays than normal - it pushes the guard up a bit, which allows a tiny bit more room beneath the callipers (as far as I can tell). My setup is:

2011 XL (58cm) Secteur
    Ultegra 6600 callipers
    Mavic CXP22 rims
    25mm Michelin Lithion 2 tyres.
  • I hated the cruds and could've quite easily ended up doing time because of those $41@*$!!!!

Bought sks and would never go back!
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Mikey2
    Mikey2 Posts: 31
    I had trouble squeezing cruds on a 2011 XL - but had a frame change due to a crack.... The new frame was a 2013 (i think) and was far easier to get cruds setup and not rubbing. Also noticed that the seat tube was 10mm shorter. So it looks like the frames are tweaked from year to year..???
  • Sorted. With Specialized all condition 700x25 tyres I have tight 4mm clearance front and rear and it's impossible to get the guards to fit. Swapping to Conti gatorskins 700x23 I've got an easy 8mm, not quite able to get a 10mm alan key in there. Guards went straight on first time, no rubbing.

I'm pretty sure mine is a 2012 model. White and grey colour scheme, triple Sora, Sora levers, Tiagra rear mech and Tektro brakes. One of these. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec030738