Winter Tyres

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
I currently have some Schwalbe Ultremo's on my Bianchi and having braved the icy roads last weekend and not been too comfortable going through the big icy patches wondered whether I should be getting some winter tyres that might offer more stability when the going gets slippy. Can anyone recommend any tyres?
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The GP 4 seasons get a lot of recommendations here, have got some of the 25c versions for both bikes but not fitted them yet.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Any tyre without metal studs in it is going to provide similarly non-existant levels of grip on ice.

You're unlikely to have the clearance for studded tyres on your Bianchi.

Buy a Cyclocross/mountain/hybrid bike and put studded tyres on it for when it's icy out. Or buy a turbo trainer and use that.
  • drlodge wrote:
    The GP 4 seasons get a lot of recommendations here, have got some of the 25c versions for both bikes but not fitted them yet.

Got a set on my winter bike & I cant fault them really are pretty good indeed.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I can fault them, they make my cruds catch!

Krylions didn't - but I prefer the GP4S

Agggh!
  • drlodge wrote:

Got a set on my winter bike & I cant fault them really are pretty good indeed.

Hi - another vote for 4 Seasons for wet/greasy conditions. However, I have to admit that if it really is icy then I prefer to stay at home...
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Any tyre without metal studs in it is going to provide similarly non-existant levels of grip on ice.

+1. To avoid falling off on ice, don't ride on ice. If you stick to gritted routes or those that have been in the sun (ha!) then you reduce the chances of encountering ice on really cold days.
  • 100% go for the 4 seasons