Ice-Free Gear Cables

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Need to replace the standard Jag-wires on my Cube with its XT shifters. With winter here, I'm looking for the cable that's most likely going to remain frost-free and keep me moving down to around -10C. Any hints or tips gratefully received.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Jagwire with the proper end caps (O-ring sealed) have never caused an issue on either my MTB or my Commuter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Buy a grease gun (Pace RC one is good, but any with a thin pointy nozzle will do), strip down the cables, and take the leading end cap off, squirt plenty of grease into the outer, replace the end cap (preferably with a sealed one) and the grease will run down through the outer when the new cable is inserted, but will more importantly form a water tight bung at the lead end. This will keep your outers water free for the whole winter and running smooth. Repeat each year with new inner cables.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Also, dont forget to grease your cables thoroughly too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Middleburn cable oilers makes it a 1 minute job to get rid of water/dirt from the cables and lube them and I also use SP41 outers and tongued end caps to stop it getting in in the first place, they work as smoothly as new all year round.