Merlin erractic pricing

white91
white91 Posts: 431
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am struggling to understand why certain options cost so much extra with the XT M780 groupset?

There is no difference in price between an 11-36 cassette and any other XT cassette, however with the groupset it is a +£35 option? The ice tec rotors are a +£30 upgrade, the retail difference is £10? Likewise a shadow+ rear mech is a +£35 option, when the retail difference is £28?

Why do they try and do this, previously the shadow+ was only £25 upgrade and the whole groupset was £25 cheaper too.

I may have to buy the basic groupset, upgrade seperately, then sell the basic parts off!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it comes packaged as a whole groupset (I don't know if it does or not) then Merlin are stuck with adding to what they are paying for it....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • white91
    Yes but you do not get both original and replacement parts
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They probably bulk buy the standard sets to get them cheap so for any of the options you are paying full price instead of their discounts.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Either ask them, or accept it. Simple.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • white91
    Merlin response The pricing is correct as we buy the groupsets in complete but with limited options. When you deviate from this we then have to split the groupsets and subsitute items from the individual stock.

Still a 11-36 was never a cost upgrade, shadow+ was £25 and the groupset was £499, so thats gone up £70 in a few weeks!

It means I now buy everything twice, not sure if the shadow+ is worth the extra either.
  • The Rookie
    white91 wrote:
    Yes but you do not get both original and replacement parts
    No but they may have lots of 11-34 sets and few 11-36's or despite the asking price being the same they have lost of 11-34 cassettes and don't really want any more, lots of perfectly sensible and logical reasons if you think about it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • white91
    Still probably the cheapest too, but Merlin should not take advantage of the situtation as they surely want return custom?

I will need to sell a the brand new 11-34 cassette for less than £13 to make the upgrade worthwhile
  • cooldad
    Merlin get plenty of repeat customers, me for one.
    If you can find a better deal somewhere else use it. If not, what's the point in whinging that the cheapest is not cheap enough for you?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you don't like it then you don't have to buy from Merlin
  • white91
    That is true Bike.de are cheaper, and no extra charges for the cassette I want, my business is going there
  • The Rookie
    And that's relevant how? You either accept Merlin's offer or go elsewhere, just because you don't want what is cheapest and they want more for what you want is irrelevant, either buy it with extra for options, or buy the option seperately and sell on the one you don't want.
  • white91
    cooldad wrote:
    Merlin get plenty of repeat customers, me for one.
    If you can find a better deal somewhere else use it. If not, what's the point in whinging that the cheapest is not cheap enough for you?

So if Merlin continue to hike up prices on popular items you will continue to use them? Also CRC are much cheaper for individual items.
  • white91 wrote:
    That is true Bike.de are cheaper, and no extra charges for the cassette I want, my business is going there

I'm sure they'll be gutted.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • white91
    edited December 2012
    white91 wrote:

I'm sure they'll be gutted.

I think you are reading this the wrong way, I will be gutted if I pay over the odds for what I want. Merlin will be fine with people blindly buying from them.

I like how Merlin price discriminate and everybody leaps to their defence, such a hostile forum at times :wink:
  • Jeeves2 wrote:
    Yes but you do not get both original and replacement partsg.gif

So (the OP should) order the groupset as is and buy the bits you want to add separately.

Don't get the point of this thread. Buy it from them or someone else or don't..who cares?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • white91
    Jeeves2 wrote:
    Yes but you do not get both original and replacement partsg.gif

So (the OP should) order the groupset as is and buy the bits you want to add separately.

Don't get the point of this thread. Buy it from them or someone else or don't..who cares?

Please keep off the thread if you have nothing to add
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Actionsports.de is as cheap as merlin, more often than not a fair bit cheaper, and allows you to mess with the groupset options, you can have any combo you want and the price difference is marginal if anything at all when you swap from the default.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Look at it the other way - they're offering a massive discount on some items, and not so much on others. Most shops do this! Would you rather the cheaper stuff went up to match to expensive options?! As Merlin say, is how they buy the groupsets, and some options come heavily discounted.
  • white91
    benpinnick wrote:
    Actionsports.de is as cheap as merlin, more often than not a fair bit cheaper, and allows you to mess with the groupset options, you can have any combo you want and the price difference is marginal if anything at all when you swap from the default.

Great price and can have the ispec shifters
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yep - always worth it to go iSpec.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    I'm a bit wary of buying anything outside the UK. I know loads of people use the German sites without problems (except for SS and his VAT diddles) but personally I'm happy to get a decent deal with CRC/Merlin/Wiggle (even though they are to blame for all the misery in the world) etc and know I can contact them easily, and their returns policies are simple and efficient.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cooldad wrote:
    I'm a bit wary of buying anything outside the UK. I know loads of people use the German sites without problems (except for SS and his VAT diddles) but personally I'm happy to get a decent deal with CRC/Merlin/Wiggle (even though they are to blame for all the misery in the world) etc and know I can contact them easily, and their returns policies are simple and efficient.
    It's much the same as buying UK - only used one German site (Action Sports I think) a couple of times (first to get Marathon Winters when they were unavailable here and the second for some brakes) - they were good but I made a minor error with my order which I think Wiggle would have been more sympathetic/helpful over.

But relocating all your business to Germany due to a weak Euro isn't a way to help the British economy so for that reason I'll probably get my SLX crankset from CRC unless someone knows of a cheaper UK source.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Good fishing here obviously.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cooldad
    Rolf F wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    It's much the same as buying UK - only used one German site (Action Sports I think) a couple of times (first to get Marathon Winters when they were unavailable here and the second for some brakes) - they were good but I made a minor error with my order which I think Wiggle would have been more sympathetic/helpful over.

But relocating all your business to Germany due to a weak Euro isn't a way to help the British economy so for that reason I'll probably get my SLX crankset from CRC unless someone knows of a cheaper UK source.
    It's mainly returning stuff - I just stick it in the company mail, but they'd probably whinge if it was international stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • white91
    Been to visit my local bike shop, they will price match Merlin, and will offer me iSpec, never thought that would happen!