The next step for the cycle industry

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
So the cycling market has exploded. Business is booming, prices still - somehow, and its ridiculous now - appear to be rising, the market isn't showing signs of slowing. There are more bicycle shops than ever and more bike brands than ever.

The bubble will burst, always does. But until it does, where next?

What or where next?

[Note, this is a Friday thread so grumblebums can feck right off]
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What or where next?

Jetpacks and cake
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So the cycling market has exploded. Business is booming, prices still - somehow, and its ridiculous now - appear to be rising, the market isn't showing signs of slowing. There are more bicycle shops than ever and more bike brands than ever. The bubble will burst, always does. But until it does, where next?

What or where next?

I think you will find that is incorrect unless "ever" means only as far back as say 10 years

In the past there were far more shops and brands of bikes, but as the motorcar became more affordable, people cycled less and shops closed and manufacturers went bust
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Upwards and onwards - Importing from Japan is very expensive at the moment, I guess due to the downturn in their economy, so Shimano kit is becoming quite expensive.

Other than that, I want a Hoverboard a la Michael J Fox....
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    spen666 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So the cycling market has exploded. Business is booming, prices still - somehow, and its ridiculous now - appear to be rising, the market isn't showing signs of slowing. There are more bicycle shops than ever and more bike brands than ever. The bubble will burst, always does. But until it does, where next?

What or where next?

I think you will find that is incorrect unless "ever" means only as far back as say 10 years

In the past there were far more shops and brands of bikes, but as the motorcar became more affordable, people cycled less and shops closed and manufacturers went bust

Off to a great start :-)
  • DonDaddyD
    spen666 wrote:

When you are right you are right.

So where do you see the industry going next.

Personally I can see more investment in bicycles that come with battery generators - to encourage those who are frankly lazy. Technology is there and with investment powerpacks will become smaller.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spen666
    wonder if manufacturers think about putting small combustion engines within their frames to power the bicycles.

novel idea, could be a winner

Perhaps if this takes off, the manufacturers could look at building bikes that could carry more than one person and provide protection from the elements as well. It may mean they need to use 4 wheels rather than 2 on these devices

Probably too radical thinking?

Twittering @spen_666
  • gtvlusso
    spen666 wrote:
    wonder if manufacturers think about putting small combustion engines within their frames to power the bicycles.

Perhaps if this takes off, the manufacturers could look at building bikes that could carry more than one person and provide protection from the elements as well. It may mean they need to use 4 wheels rather than 2 on these devices

You missed the step from 2 to 3 wheels; We would be nowhere without:

reliantrobin850.jpg
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    More normal bikes you can ride comfortably without even thinking about lycra & clipless. The type of bikes Pashley makes but with a more continental price tag.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Personally I can see more investment in bicycles that come with battery generators - to encourage those who are frankly lazy. Technology is there and with investment powerpacks will become smaller.

Electric motorbikes- or more likely, electric scooters. These things are not really bicycles, are they?

I'm thinking along the lines of an electric Honda C90. Though I guess something like a Vespa could work, too.

Cheers,
    W.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Down tube shifting?

Di2/Electronic shifing for the masses?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • spen666
    gtvlusso wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

reliantrobin850.jpg

i was rather hoping this time around, evolution would ensure this did not happen

Twittering @spen_666
  • gtvlusso
    spen666 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

reliantrobin850.jpg

i was rather hoping this time around, evolution would ensure this did not happen

:lol::lol::lol:

Perhaps Tamworth is a microcosm of human development, took and extra step and is now consequently a step behind everyone else!
  • DonDaddyD
    Given the rising prices, I don't understand why an existing British (engineering) manufacturer hasn't attempted to create affordable groupsets made here for the masses. Set the price as low as possible (talking Gamecube £129 vs PS2 and Xbox's £350 - £250) it become a barrier to entry - but also have premium groupsets.

But seriously if the Government have no objections to injecting £1billion into cycling infrastructure then it would stand to reason that the market in general would want to capitalise on that.
    Food Chain number = 4

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Given the rising prices, I don't understand why an existing British (engineering) manufacturer hasn't attempted to create affordable groupsets

isnt that because we err... don't have any engineering/ manufacturing companies left here in blighty?

its all them bloody foreigners fault coming over here...taking our jobs an our wimmin
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    What about more affordable Alfine type gears? with possibly bigger ratio's.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think DDD has a point here.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So the cycling market has exploded. Business is booming, prices still - somehow, and its ridiculous now - appear to be rising, the market isn't showing signs of slowing. There are more bicycle shops than ever and more bike brands than ever.

The bubble will burst, always does. But until it does, where next?

What or where next?

It's simply not true, the so called boom in cycling is entirely fuelled by BSOs from Halfords et al. traditional bike shops selling quality products are struggling, even in the online marketplace, you would be surprised how many major players have the bank managers snarling at the gates. manufacturers are pushing up the prices every year, one of the biggest increased retail prices by 15% last year and had to roll them back 1/2 way through the season because no-one was buying. This squeezes the margins and means that a bricks and mortar bike shop is no longer a realistic business model for most, yes there are more shops opening but they won't last. We have a saying that if you want to make a million in the bike trade you should start with two.

In the future I see most business being done online, more shops closing and more business coming from outside of the UK, the whole way we are set up with distributors in individual countries is not sustainable in the long term.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Given the rising prices, I don't understand why an existing British (engineering) manufacturer hasn't attempted to create affordable groupsets made here for the masses. Set the price as low as possible (talking Gamecube £129 vs PS2 and Xbox's £350 - £250) it become a barrier to entry - but also have premium groupsets.

But seriously if the Government have no objections to injecting £1billion into cycling infrastructure then it would stand to reason that the market in general would want to capitalise on that.

British manufacturing tends to be hi-tech/high margin... think F1, aerospace etc

Have a look at this:
    http://bicycledesign.net/2012/09/mando- ... id-e-bike/

The next step for the cycle industry? Maybe not.. but this is the sort of thing you're likely to see from a British engineer... In fact, it was designed by a Brit, in conjunction with a Dutch E-bike expert and Korean manufaturers... That's what British (engineering &) design is all about- collaborative, imaginative, international etc.

Welcome to 21st century Britain.

Cheers,
    W.

P.S. Bet it feels really wierd to pedal!
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Shouldn't that be 'The next pedal-turn for the cycle industry'?
  • I dunno. You put a battery on a bicycle for your clever gear shifting and the next thing you know you end up with this.

http://www.renault.co.uk/cars/model/twi ... ?WT.srch=1

Driven by 16 year old no less, and you wont hear it coming.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Soemone will need to reinvent the wheel.

pedal/eco powered duel wheel versions like this are the future
    http://dsc.discovery.com/pdi/files/2012/05/monovelo.jpg

Perfect for the city and possibly safer :P
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    rebs wrote:
    Soemone will need to reinvent the wheel.

pedal/eco powered duel wheel versions like this are the future
    http://dsc.discovery.com/pdi/files/2012/05/monovelo.jpg

Perfect for the city and possibly safer :P

Except if you need to brake.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    London red wrote an interesting piece about the economics of bikes and why they cost what they do.
    here and continued here.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    the next step for the cycle industry? I'm not entirely sure, perhaps a period of consolidation after a massive growth.

The next step for road bikes is disc brakes and for both road and MTB the continuing growth of carbon.

An aloominum frame will be as rare in the future as a steel one is now.
    FCN = 4
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    gtvlusso wrote:

I had a Robin years ago, put wee 70's style alloys on it, leopardskin seat covers in it and took it to the local car show, it got more attention than all the barrywagons on display. It was actually quite fun to drive and used bog all petrol. Wonderful thing.

Back on topic..........

I think more people will be looking for basic bikes, there is simply no need for a double suspended disc braked MTB for going 3 miles to work, years ago, people rode heavy singlespeed steel bikes quite happily, so an alloy framed 700c singlespeed that didn't weigh a ton and didn't cost the earth is the way to go. That Vitus Vee-1 of mine is a great bike but they're far to too bloody dear at nearly £300, my RR from Decathlon, although apparently assembled by a chimp has a decent spec for the same price. Saying that, Decathlon bikes seem rather better specced than the BSO being churned out by Halfords.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • isnt that because we err... don't have any engineering/ manufacturing companies left here in blighty?

moves are afoot to bring manufacturing back to britain

the problem is that if you go anywhere to get something made you have a lot of problems

instead of a yes we can do that for a price the norm is often no we dont know how to do this anymore

the amount of companies i have approached recently to manufacture things is ridiculous and i work in that F1 Aerospace hi tech manufacturing centre its easier to set up a production facility with a can do attitude

forget asking the government for help however they aren't fucking interested even if you fit into the high tech,create jobs stop importing sector....
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    the next step for the cycle industry? I'm not entirely sure, perhaps a period of consolidation after a massive growth.

The next step for road bikes is disc brakes and for both road and MTB the continuing growth of carbon.

An aloominum frame will be as rare in the future as a steel one is now.
    I wouldn't exactly describe steel frames as rare...
  • I think the will continue to be more and more variety in the bike world - the variety of frame materials will spread, technology will spread but so will simplicity - basically there will be bikes that do pretty much everything you could want them to: just more and more variety
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH