New Riverside cycle hub in Derby

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Bustl ... story.html

A RIVERSIDE bike hub with a bustling bistro, secure parking, accessories shop and repairs service is being created by two cycling enthusiasts.

Simon Ingham, managing director of Bennett's in Derby, and Mark Smith, who heads up the city council's Cycle Derby scheme, both share a passion for cycling.

<snip>

For two years they have been discussing ideas on how they could remove the barriers which generally deter people from mounting their bikes.

And now, capitalising on the Derby's recent Government award of cash to improve sustainable transport, the pair feel the time is right to create The Park Bike Works.

Mr Smith said: "People are often worried about bike theft, especially if they have an expensive bike they don't want to leave in the street, so we will offer free parking. It is also for things like if they want to cycle to work and not wanting to turn up sweaty at the office. That's why The Park will have showers and lockers."

If given planning permission, The Park will be created in a warehouse owned by Bennett's which faces on to Cathedral Green. It will be rented to the social enterprise set up by Mr Ingham and Mr Smith at a peppercorn rent.

It will feature 150 secure cycle racks for free bike parking but will offer much more too.

Mr Ingham said: "This will have showers, lockers, easy access to bike servicing, parts and accessories for sale – it is really aimed at bike users within the city of Derby. It will also have a bistro so people can have a drink and something to eat. It is about including everyone."

Mr Smith said he did not want anyone to feel inhibited about asking questions about cycling.

He said: "We want to create an atmosphere where people feel able to ask questions and are not afraid people will think they look silly. We want everyone to be able to get into cycling."

The Park will create about 10 jobs and will also see some Derby bike companies locating their assembly and work there.

The aim is for it to open in late summer next year.

There are other similar projects around the world, including the Heritage Bicycle Works in California, but Mr Smith said none were to the same scale.

The Park will receive about £200,000 of capital funding and £90,000 of running cost money from the city council, which has recently received £7 million of Government funding to promote sustainable transport.

Mr Ingham and Mr Smith hope to lever in more money from corporate sponsorship. They already have plans for a phase-two, which could see a bike hire scheme in the city.

Councillor Ranjit Banwait, cabinet member for neighbourhoods, said it had potential for a "Velib-type" feel – the Parisian bike hire scheme.

The Park will play a key role in linking together the overall aim of the Sustainable Local Transport Fund work. That will see the launch of the Connected project which aims to encourage employers in Derby to find ways to help their staff use public transport or bike to get to work.

It will include free training by Cycle Derby, advice, tailored travel information and one-to-one support.

Mr Smith said: "We will even cycle the route with them. We want people to feel confident."

The Connected project will be delivered with the help of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Chamber of Commerce. Employers can find out more at Pride Park Stadium on Tuesday, January 15, from 8am.

Well, well, well.... that's got to be good news
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    That is good news and I wish them every success. I know the warehouse well and It's idealy located.
    It would be good to see that bit of Derby renovated. (The council could start by removeing the now derelict Full St Police Station!)
    Graham. :D
  • that sounds great :)

I'm rather lucky with my employer as I keep my bike indoors and there are showers and lockers. Still I wish I had something like this in Portsmouth would be nice.