Graceful slide across road

Brad123
Brad123 Posts: 86
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
Have a nice slide across a quite road this morning. :shock: Bent brake leaver and a bit of road rash.
Wont be doing that route for a while.
Be careful out their.
GT Avalanche for xc fun
Btwin Triban 3

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Where is KB when you need him?

Hope your ok.

Let us try and keep it rubber side down people.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Me too!

Traffic stoppped to let me pick myself up too which was an unexpected bonus.
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I set out in damp but mild conditions; from 3 miles in there were icy patches to contend with. I thought I was down when the back wheel started to slide to the left on a bend, somehow it found grip then swung the other way before righting itself. Fish-tailing on a bike; never had that before. At least it stayed upright for the journey.
  • I can imagine mid-slide you were thinking "Oh Boll-ero"
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • had one of them moments yesterday, my fault really trying to go down a 400ft ungritted country lane, luckily i was only doing at 3mph, after to fall decided to walk the rest of the way down the hill., then further up was another road with running water which was fine until the other side and that was sheet ice, sheet was what i shouted before i went down again, luckily no damage to me or bike, but will be staying off that section till it warms up now.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    No-one heard of studded tyres then :?
  • fossyant wrote:

I have. Water-covered sheet ice this morning for about 9 miles - not a single drama of any sort 8)

But, yes, if you don't have them, you're better staying off the bike
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Where is KB when you need him?

Hope your ok.

Let us try and keep it rubber side down people.

Lawks. My grammar filter just went black. :shock: :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    fossyant wrote:

I have. Water-covered sheet ice this morning for about 9 miles - not a single drama of any sort 8)

Studded tyres don't always stop you landing on your arse as I gracefully demonstrated this morning.

TBH I could have avoided the ice but chose to ride it anyway. And yes, melting ice is much more dangerous than fresh stuff.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • fossyant wrote:

Studded tyres don't always stop you landing on your ars* as I gracefully demonstrated this morning.

TBH I could have avoided the ice but chose to ride it anyway. And yes, melting ice is much more dangerous than fresh stuff.

You on the snow studs?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yes, but that doesn't mean they wont punish me and spit me out for getting cocky.

Besides, how can you know your limits if you never find them?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Sorry to hear. It's stories like this that are persuading me to just not bother; I think it's not worth it. I tried to ride to work the other day (currently doing a Christmas job in a warehouse about 1 mile away; riding in work attire and pedalling with toes in steel toe-capped boots) in the snow and after my rear wheel had spun all over the place a bit I came to my senses and turned back. The road my wife and I live on (until tomorrow, funnily enough) isn't very well gritted and has a very short but reasonably steep incline (enough that we had to abandon the car on it last year), and even if I'd made it to the bottom of the road and over the icy patches, the traffic was dreadful anyway so I'd have been late for work either way.
  • Besides, how can you know your limits if you never find them?

I experiment in safe circumstances and abuse the bike to see what happens - I'm always amazed how good the Spiker Pros are
  • And yes, melting ice is much more dangerous than fresh stuff.

Top tip. Give me fresh ice over that frozen stuff every time. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem