What pannier rack pack?

CaerlyrOsprey
CaerlyrOsprey Posts: 49
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a pannier rack pack for my Saracen. I have already got the pannier rack, but would be grateful for advice on what bag to buy.

I'm probably looking to spend £50, and the bag is most likely to be used to carry my gym kit, and the odd carrier bag of groceries.

I would be grateful for advice on which rack pack to purchase.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Comments

• Carradice Super C for me.

One of the best pieces of kit I own. It fits a good deal of stuff if packed properly, is very tough (a little nick on the rear pocket is the worst it's suffered in a spill, and the material is easily patched) and incredibly waterproof; I've ridden in monsoonal downpours and my stuff has been bone dry afterward. Brilliant.
  • Ortlieb Classic Roller for me. I use a front (smaller) but on the rear. Does what it says on the tin, day in, day out.
  • The ortleib is a pannier not a rack pack!

Carradice Carradura rack pack for me, quite large to begin with, unzips and extends upwards for alittle more room, has a carry strap, hi viz waterproof cover, several pockets, hard wearing, lightweight and very versatile!

I cannot sing its praises enough - bought 2 of them about a year and a half ago for me and the missus (got factory seconds from their outlet on ebay for £19 a pop!). Mine has commuted almost daily since then and looks almost new.

features of merit:

1. good storage space - extendable
    2. 1 large main compartment + 3 smaller pockets (rear one carries waterproof cover + my montane velo waterproof jacket, left one carries my tools/spare tube/puncture kit etc, right one carries a small lock + Banana!)
    3. Main compartment holds for me :- tupperware lunchbox, pair of jeans, T-shirt, jumper, packet of crisps and wallet for work.
    4. loops on top for holding pump (I have a topeak morph road on it)
    5. small net pocket on top for stuffing say gloves or hat/glasses
    6. bungees on top make strapping "other" items to the top painless, say waterproofs if it stops raining
    7 reflectives all round (this was the problem with my factory seconds, the reflective strip wasnt relective for 20mm or so.)
    8. attaches via velcro, which is quick and easy to take on n off.

fantastic bit of kit at a great price, not too big, yet plenty of storage for commuting - easy to use, reliable and just "works"
  • Oh yeah I can't read. Sorry.