Which five ten shoe to buy??

Wrekin 7
Wrekin 7 Posts: 13
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all first post so bear with me,looking to buy some five ten shoes for generally mtb riding trail centres etc , any recommendations would be appreciated , been looking at the five ten karvers as the seem to look pretty rugged and pretty weather resistant. Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Five Tens are not at all weather resistant. They can absorb huge amounts of water. They do have extremely grippy soles though.
    I have had Five Tens and I have Shimano AM41's. The Shimano's aren't quite as grippy (though perfectly good enough) but they are much better in standard British weather and last longer.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I have freeriders and hellcats, they both take water on like a sponge, but the freeriders keep my feet toasty, even when soaked and in freezing temperatures. The hellcats not so much, I think something to do with the stiffer sole and therefore less insulation, or something...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I love my freeriders.
  • I have Purple Freeriders. They do get wet but stay warm and look great. They stick to the pedals. I haven'y had a big hit on them yet but I feel that they can take a beating.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Great username btw.
  • Cheers guys for all your replys . Been talking to one of the fellas at my local "ish" leisure lakes and they are going to get me a pair of the carvers and a few others to take a look at and try . Let you know how I'll get on .thanks again
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    ive got the sam hill 5;10. very grippy on the few rides ive used them
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    They look almost as bad as shimano AM41s though
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I've had the Impact Lo and have the Hi's - not very water resistant but comfortable and super grippy.

There is a firm in Chesterfield that will take your shoes (your choice) and put a Stealth rubber sole on for you - worth a look?
  • I have 5:10 spitfires. Like everyone says, they're super grippy, they offer a bit of extra ankle protection and they look half decent. And they have mod targets on them. And they're called spitfires. But they've gotten pretty knackered in a year and are as waterproof as a sponge. I like em.