Is it me or is it extremely hard work out there on the bike?

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
Feels like it, feels like I'm carrying an extra bike, or an extra 10kg, or just really draggy. Proper hard on the legs, and letting off does nothing but make the bike ground to turtle pace unless with a group.

Sort of feels like someone has broke into the wash house in the night and replaced my wheels with heavy 36 spokes antiques with 32mm tyres on and gave me a pannier with bricks in.

Comments

• I don't know about hard, it's bloody hideous out there on the bike here.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    willhub wrote:
    Feels like it, feels like I'm carrying an extra bike, or an extra 10kg, or just really draggy. Proper hard on the legs, and letting off does nothing but make the bike ground to turtle pace unless with a group.

Sort of feels like someone has broke into the wash house in the night and replaced my wheels with heavy 36 spokes antiques with 32mm tyres on and gave me a pannier with bricks in.

Yep me too, slow heavy bike, multiple layers and freezing conditions aren't conducive to fast riding, either that or I'm going to pieces!
    Mañana
  • willhub
    Well the only difference with me is 2 layers of overshoes, a 36 spoke Abrosio with a 25mm Bontrager that seem awful and full of glass, then a light with battery pack and the winter clothes, can't see how that could slow me down.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Quality training though!

Serious answer - Check tyre pressures and clean the drive train.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I can't stand riding my bike in the winter.

I will stick to running until the spring.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I did 3 hours yesterday afternoon - fairly steady, still died on the way back. Was planning to do it on water but had to eat the energy bar I'd stuck in my pocket at 2 hours in though it didn't seem to help. Now I've not done much since July but even so - average speed was down to 16.5 mph by the end of it and that's sticking to the A6 because I didn't fancy risking the lanes because of ice. So yes it does seem particularly hard going for some reason.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • willhub
    I'm tempted to put my Michelin Pro 3's on to see if that makes a diffo :P
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    It's not you it is actually harder, as air gets colder, it gets more dense, from summer to winter it takes about 15% more effort to push through cold air. Also your bearings and grease are stiffer.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • willhub
    I best inspect my BB, I did have to change out my Ultegra HT2 BB for a Dura-Ace because it was so stiff the cranks could not even do 1 full rotation (no chain on).