Kindle Fire HD, Nexus 7 or samsung Galaxy?

Yellow Peril
Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
Mrs Peril and I are going to give the Perilettes e-reader/ tablets for Christmas. We had sort of targeted the Nexus 7 as being one which offered what we wanted but were informed by PC World who recently moved onto the Isle of Man that some Nexus' had been returned as there are certain features which don't work on the IOM and you get a "Not available in your Country" he said that it was being worked on but anyone any knowledge of this.

We shifted then to the Kindle Fire HD but the other string on here about dodgy screens makes me nervous. Anyone any knowledge of the Samsung? someone said it has the same operating system as the nexus (Jelly Bean?) so I guess that may have similar problems.

Any advice welcome, I don't know much about computer stuff.
@JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Sorry that i can't give you any advice but the Kindle fire HD is on offer at Argos for £99 until the 9th.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Can't help you specifically but I recently got a nexus and am finding it great. That's what I would recommend, they're all basically the same, but the nexus is more stripped back without unnecessary guff added on!
    Mañana
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Kindle Fire is pretty amazing but it has limited apps and getting tunes onto it is a bit of a pallaver (there are a few applications that will do this but they do cost and the other option is to use the Amazon icloud, which means you could end up rebuying tunes). It is perfect for my little 'un in that she loves reading (and there are loads and loads of books available to buy at reasonable costs), likes a bit of music and a few games. However, it is not a small ipad.
  • Bozman wrote:
    Sorry that i can't give you any advice but the Kindle fire HD is on offer at Argos for £99 until the 9th.

Thats just the normal kindle fire - the hd is pretty much 160 everywhere.

I'm thinkng of getting one for xmas for CB to keep her amused in bed - there are some good reviewers on youtube
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mattwood
    mattwood Posts: 148
    The Nexus 7 would be my choice. I just got a Nexus 4 and am loving it, so I may be a touch biased, but the '7 offers fantastic bang for your buck!
  • Ipad
  • Fevmeister wrote:
    Ipad

or not..... :roll:

I bought SWMBO a Nexus for her burpday in September and she absolutely loves it. So much so, that we are going to get the little Wolf's one each for Christmas. The Nexus 7 is now running 4.2 Jelly Bean rather than 4.1, not sure if this has provided the fix for the IOW though.
  • not sure if this has provided the fix for the IOW though.

Or the IOM :D
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Looks like the issue is Google's policy towards the IOM - i.e., Manx IP addresses aren't considered by Google to be UK IP addresses, so they block purchases via Google Play (which includes the official Android app store), etc.:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index. ... r-problem/

Apparently devices with SIM cards (like phones and 3G tablets) get around this, since the SIM takes precedence over the IP address, and Manx SIMs are considered to be UK SIMs. Another workaround is to use a VPN service to present a UK IP address to Google.

I expect this issue will also affect other Android tablets like the Galaxy Tab (otherwise a nice option). You can still use alternative app stores, like Amazon's, and since the Kindle Fire is intended to be used only with the Amazon store, it will presumably be fine in the IOM. However, there's nothing stopping you installing Amazon's app store on a Nexus or a Galaxy and I think you'll also be able to download free apps from Google Play, so they should actually be more versatile than the Kindle.
  • Thanks everyone. RDW that was a very useful link. I'm guessing the HD fire might be the answer.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Bozman wrote:

I'm thinkng of getting one for xmas for CB to keep her amused in bed - there are some good reviewers on youtube

So it is, Mr money saving expert gave that out on radio 5 as a bargain.
  • I've got a Nexus 7. Recommend it, and it's defo better than the Samsung.

Kindle Fire HD sounds good but I think in the reviews the Nexus edges it. Not by much.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Thumbs up for the Nexus 7 here. Good build quality, fast, excellent display and decent battery life. If you want to delve into it to fiddle with settings etc., ("rooting it"), it's much easier than with the other tablets mentioned.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • [quoteI'm thinkng of getting one for xmas for CB to keep her amused in bed ][/quote]

MTFU

sorry couldnt resist :wink:
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I buy web-user and they have just done a review on the Nexus,Kindle Fire,I-pad mini and galaxy tab.the Nexus came out and out winner.

http://www.webuser.co.uk/content/issue- ... 9-november

It seems that although the I-pad is a great machine it is completely over-priced and you are paying for a brand name.much the same as everything from Apple.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Davdandy wrote:
    I buy web-user and they have just done a review on the Nexus,Kindle Fire,I-pad mini and galaxy tab.the Nexus came out and out winner.
    The same result in the latest 'Stuff Magazine' (Jan).
    Rich
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Bozman wrote:

Never thought I would see the day...
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I've had a Nexus for a few weeks now (got it free on a fantastic phone deal with Carphone Warehouse - check them out!) and I'm happy with it.

I only use it for simple internet surfing though, no apps, TV/film watching or music, game etc
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    Nexus here. Got it last week and love it.
  • Nexus 7/10. Fantastic. I have the entire nexus line (4/7/10) and all are the best in their individual categories performance and price.