Rucksack / Shoulder Strap Panniers?

laurietew
laurietew Posts: 4
edited December 2012 in Commuting general
I'm a student and about to start cycling the ~10 mile commute to my placement.

I'm looking for a pannier that I can fit onto the cycle rack while I cycle, and then lift off and be able to carry around for the day, either as a rucksack or on a shoulder strap. I've seen loads of great bags from Ortlieb, but they're all waaaaay out of my price range!

Does anyone know of bags like these on a budget?!

Thanks guys!

Comments

• alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    Do you really need panniers? Have a look at the rucksacks sold by the Edinburgh Cycle Cooperative. I have one of their revolution bags and it is brilliant. Be warned that fits vary and I tried on a lot before settling on that one. I tried a number from big brands (Gore, Osprey etc) and found most of them to be uncomfortable or too big/small.

Another reason to give the Edinburgh Cycle Cooperative store a go is that they very much cater to the student population and have stores in a number of big cities.
  • Horns
    Horns Posts: 10
    I use an Abus one like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/ABUS-Pannier-Ur ... 615&sr=1-1

Dead easy to yank off the bike and throw over your shoulder, and big enough to hold a change of clothes, a spare tube and assorted work stuff. It's not completely waterproof, but I just put my clothes in a plastic bag.
  • eBay search15l waterproof pannier for £13.99 you can't go wrong. I use it daily.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I'd think that unless you were very careful you'd end up with something that worked badly as both a pannier and rucsac.

If you are after a rucsac, the Alpkit Gourdon-20 is a pretty unbeatable value for £22.50 including postage - when it isn't sold out.

It is a 20-litre drybag and Alpkit are very good with customer service. I do use mine (1-year old) on the bike when I am not using panniers but I do use it a lot for hillwalking/scrambling, where because of its lightness and simplicity it is my favourite daysac.

I have a pair of Vaude aqua pro panniers, which have lasted 20,000 miles commuting with only superficial damage to the one that I use (after a few offs). They do cost a fair bit but are fully as good as the ortleib ones, and will last a long time.