carbon, aluminium or steel

pliptrot
pliptrot Posts: 582
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am thinking of a new MTB. So far I've only ridden steel. My request for advice here is all about the alternative frame materials, and in particular carbon fibre. Are there any anecdotes you'd care to share about durability, care and so-on? Carbon fibre looks attractive, but how well does it stand up to off road use year round?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Carbon is much more durable than aluminium, an alloy frame will dent a tube long before a carbon frame will be damaged.

A QUALITY steel frame is nice for the right bike, but generally these days you'd only use steel for a long travel aggresive HT, choice of carbon or ally then comes down to budget for other styles of frame.

So what style of riding and what budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    pliptrot wrote:
    Carbon fibre looks attractive, but how well does it stand up to off road use year round?
    A chap in the Workshop forum has had some problems: viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12862842

Not sure how typical that is though like everything else we only tend to hear about the ones that go wrong.

For my part I have a carbon-tubed Giant CFR2 road bike that has seen a few diggers in its time but it hasn't cracked or delaminated or anything like that
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Anecdotally, I've heard carbon dissolves in the rain.
    It may, however, not be true.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Polyester degrades in sun and rain, but they still make tents and waterproof out of it.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Polyester degrades in sun and rain, but they still make tents and waterproof out of it.

yes but if your tent leaks it isnt going to cause you to faceplant at 30mph though is it? :wink:

tbh OP the best thing to do is go out and ride them if possible. you can get good and bad of all frame materials
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    There is not many people bragging about cracked carbon frames. You got one or two topics but the same applies for alu or steel bikes. If geometry is right then why not...
    The negatives are probably price and carbon may require more care and attention than metal.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I like my carbon, however there seems to be a lot of carbon frames going down with issues.
    I loved my Gt Zaskar however every ding I heard whilst peddling thought this would be the one to crack it.

Don't get me wrong carbon is strong and I'm looking into getting a Specialized Epic upgrade but weighing the difference up as the frame is second hand and warranty issues if it does go bad.

As for Alu they tend to break as well or have issues certain makes, all down to the op choice.
  • Carbon is much more durable than aluminium, an alloy frame will dent a tube long before a carbon frame will be damaged.

A QUALITY steel frame is nice for the right bike, but generally these days you'd only use steel for a long travel aggresive HT, choice of carbon or ally then comes down to budget for other styles of frame.

So what style of riding and what budget?

Cotic Soul, Ragley Piglet, Pipedream Sirius or Scion, OnOne Inbred. None are particularly long travel or aggressive.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    All three materials can be built into good durable frames if designed correctly and built into terrible frames if designed incorrectly. The material is only part of the puzzle. Forget about the material and just choose the frame that meets your needs.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The negatives are probably price and carbon may require more care and attention than metal.

There are cheap carbon frames, and expensive steel ones, and how does a material require more care? No difference IMO.
    Don't get me wrong carbon is strong and I'm looking into getting a Specialized Epic upgrade but weighing the difference up as the frame is second hand and warranty issues if it does go bad.

You mean just like the aluminium one you have? More of their alu frames break than carbon.
  • pliptrot wrote:
    I am thinking of a new MTB. So far I've only ridden steel. My request for advice here is all about the alternative frame materials, and in particular carbon fibre. Are there any anecdotes you'd care to share about durability, care and so-on? Carbon fibre looks attractive, but how well does it stand up to off road use year round?

Buy a frame made out of whatever you want, as it is perfectly possible to make a nice frame out of any of those materials.