Old People & Dogs grrr

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
last night i was travelling along here ok quite hard to see where im talking about but, bear with me

its basically a tarmac path that is probably 30ft wide that runs from Liverpool's Albert dock to Garston, its really well lit an is quite famous for dogging (supposedly)

so anyways im trunderling along at about 12mph as im not in a hurry an litrally plodding along when i catch up to a group of dog walkers id say at least 15 people all with dogs, none of the dogs are on leads

as i start to go past a few of the dogs run in front of me so i have to stop to avoid squishing fido an his mates

i say to the owners, can you do me a favour please an control your dogs an was met with a barrage of "I WILL NOT PUT MY DOG ON A LEAD"

so i reply "i didnt say put your dog on a lead" i said "can you control it please" then..."if i was to hit your dog with my bike you wouldn't be happy would you, so to avoid any bikes hitting you dogs err control them"

one angry old fella started shouting then about "oh you cyclists treat this like a race track"

me "possibly, but was i going too fast?"

oldies "grumble grumble"

i ride away...oldie then shouts something about "grow up an get a life"

:evil: CODE RED!!

so i stop an walk over to wrinkly face an ask him why did he shout stuff as im riding away, he basically goes off on one about how all cyclists are horrible an dont respect anyone an the path is a shared use path so they dont need to control dogs etc

so i just say "well if you dont control your dog an i hit your dog with my wheels or chain ring its your fault an ride aware in a red mist if he was younger i would have broken his teeth i was fuming....

i feel better now, thanks carry on
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    mudcow007 wrote:
    its basically a tarmac path that is probably 30ft wide that runs from Liverpool's Albert dock to Garston, its really well lit an is quite famous for dogging (supposedly)

You expect us to believe you were there for anything else?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Wilma says 'woof'...

IMG_2008.jpg
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Your average dog owner has no idea about responsibility or even know what dog control means.

A friend of mine said "I wouldn't want to take away the dog's freedom" said dog got squished by a car right outside their front door. (it was free to do what it wanted for about 1.5 seconds!)

Training a dog is good for the dog and is fairly easy, training the owners is next to impossible.

At least in the UK the owner accompanies the dog on it's walk.

Gangs of feral old people can be a real hazard to cyclists, I sympathise :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    team47b wrote:
    Training a dog is good for the dog and is fairly easy, training the owners is next to impossible.
    This. A well-trained and obedient dog, which knows its place - its place being the lowest in the pack - is a happy dog: a dog that's not sure of its status is stressed.
    Furthermore, it's the law that you have to keep a dog under control: if you can't keep it to heel by obedience, it has to be on a lead.
  • bompington wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    This. A well-trained and obedient dog, which knows its place - its place being the lowest in the pack - is a happy dog: a dog that's not sure of its status is stressed.
    Furthermore, it's the law that you have to keep a dog under control: if you can't keep it to heel by obedience, it has to be on a lead.

+1
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    People out with their dog(s) and no lead in sight - one of my PET hates.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    I honestly think most people do not think how much damage an uncontrolled dog can do.

I ended up on the end of a fast moving Golden Retriever whilst standing still. I was hit from the side by the dog, which came at me through a large crowd of people and I only saw it as I was falling down. Result was an open fracture of the tib and fib, 2 operations and 12 months to heal.

So people not controlling their dogs is now a real pet hate for me.... and I happily point out to them the damage their dog can do.... most seem shocked and hopfully some of them take a bit more care infuture.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    As a Dog owner and cyclist I think that a lot of this is balls.

@bike68 - why does a lead have to be in sight. I walk my dog with his lead round my neck, but it makes no difference to him whether it is round my neck or in my pocket - it isn't attached to his neck.

@team47b - "Your average dog owner has no idea about responsibility or even know what dog control means" or "your average cyclist has no idea about responsibility or even what the highway code means"?

@mudcow007 - seriously - you'd have hit someone in the face because he yelled "grow up and get a life" at you? Peds feel threatened by cyclists. Cyclists feel threatened by cars. Cars feel threatened by lorries.

There is a tow path by me. If I'm cycling on it and people are walking their dogs there, I slow down as I am aware that dogs may change direction quickly. Same as if there are small children around. Same as if there are just peds around - it is a shared path and 12mph is still 4x as fast as people walk. Where you were riding was not a road, it was nowhere near motorised traffic (from what I can see) and it sounds like there was an over-reaction on everyone's behalf.

My dog loves coming for cycle rides with me - the two aren't mutually exclusive...
  • mroli wrote:

My dog loves coming for cycle rides with me - the two aren't mutually exclusive...

What's his FCN? I might fancy his scalp :roll:

1496949592_9dc327ae77.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    mroli wrote:

@mudcow007 - seriously - you'd have hit someone in the face because he yelled "grow up and get a life" at you? Peds feel threatened by cyclists. Cyclists feel threatened by cars. Cars feel threatened by lorries.

Yep, well that an he was waving his ball chucker thing 4mm (i didnt measure) away from my boat race an was generally being a bit of a toe rag...you know walking right up to my face trying to intimidate me

also i too own a dog, but if i know there are bikes around i keep my dog under control an close to me an not wandering all over the path where she could get injured or cause an injury to another path user

Molly say hi

DSC01024.jpg
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    mroli wrote:

@bike68 - why does a lead have to be in sight. I walk my dog with his lead round my neck, but it makes no difference to him whether it is round my neck or in my pocket - it isn't attached to his neck.

@team47b - "Your average dog owner has no idea about responsibility or even know what dog control means" or "your average cyclist has no idea about responsibility or even what the highway code means"?

There is a tow path by me. If I'm cycling on it and people are walking their dogs there, I slow down as I am aware that dogs may change direction quickly. Same as if there are small children around. Same as if there are just peds around - it is a shared path and 12mph is still 4x as fast as people walk. Where you were riding was not a road, it was nowhere near motorised traffic (from what I can see) and it sounds like there was an over-reaction on everyone's behalf.

+1^^^^^

If i'm cycling on a mixed use path and see dogs or peds I always slow right down. To be honest people are more unpredictable than dogs I find. pedestrians in the UK are not used to mixed use paths and for that reason they don't work and I normally avoid them.

If I'm out walking the dog and I see bikes, even if i'm on a footpath (as opposed to bridalway) where bikes aren't supposed to be, I normally pick it up for its own safety and a courtesy to the cyclists. (Its not a big dog!)
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Be careful, the dogs will be getting their own back soon: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20614593
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • A dog in a public area must be under control at all times.
    The biggest problem is the owner.
    The dog is normally minding its own business, the owner sees me and decides that it's a good time to call to the dog.
    The poor animal gets confused (it was happy sniffing other dogs shit or whatever they do), but then stands in the middle of the cycle path instead.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    mroli wrote:

Read my post again, maybe a bit slower this time.............................
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Got it, but thought you still meant the first bit.... Should have used a smiley emoticon.... :D

:twisted:
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Be careful, the dogs will be getting their own back soon: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20614593

It says in that link that they are teaching dogs to drive cars to prove how intelligent they are. Since when was driving a car any indication of intelligence?
    mroli wrote:

That may be true but it doesn't make it acceptable.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    It does go the other way too.

I was walking the hound in the park and saw a bike coming towards us quickly on the shared path. I tell her to wait which makes her stand still. The youth on the bike tries to use his feet for brakes, wobbles all over the place and manages to spectaculary run the dog over, who was still obediently waiting for me to tell her she can walk on.

Luckily dog and rider were unharmed although the dog is a bit nervous around bikes now.

Turns out the bike had no brakes. I gave him a piece of my mind, whilst quietly thinking the badly grazed palms were punishment enough.
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    last night i was travelling along here ok quite hard to see where im talking about but, bear with me

so anyways im trunderling along at about 12mph as im not in a hurry an litrally plodding along when i catch up to a group of dog walkers id say at least 15 people all with dogs, none of the dogs are on leads

as i start to go past a few of the dogs run in front of me so i have to stop to avoid squishing fido an his mates

i say to the owners, can you do me a favour please an control your dogs an was met with a barrage of "I WILL NOT PUT MY DOG ON A LEAD"

so i reply "i didnt say put your dog on a lead" i said "can you control it please" then..."if i was to hit your dog with my bike you wouldn't be happy would you, so to avoid any bikes hitting you dogs err control them"

one angry old fella started shouting then about "oh you cyclists treat this like a race track"

me "possibly, but was i going too fast?"

oldies "grumble grumble"

i ride away...oldie then shouts something about "grow up an get a life"

:evil: CODE RED!!

so i stop an walk over to wrinkly face an ask him why did he shout stuff as im riding away, he basically goes off on one about how all cyclists are horrible an dont respect anyone an the path is a shared use path so they dont need to control dogs etc

so i just say "well if you dont control your dog an i hit your dog with my wheels or chain ring its your fault an ride aware in a red mist if he was younger i would have broken his teeth i was fuming....

i feel better now, thanks carry on

Let me get this straight.

You were unable to navigate your way past some dogs and old codgers.

The old codgers thrashed you in a verbal battle of wits.

One old codger in particular called you out, and you failed to pummel him into a lifeless pulp. In fact, you cowered before him, and then ran away.

Dude, you got pwned. Pussy-whipped even. Massive time. I bet those old codgers were high-fiving each other for an hour after you turned tail and ran.

That's a dark cloud that's gonna cast a shadow from here to Boxing Day. I feel sorry for you dude, really sorry.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I cycle through my local park in the mornings and on bright days, there are always dog walkers. Technically that stretch is 'dogs on leads' but so long as people are sensible there's rarely an issue. But there's one large group who walk spread out across the entire (road sized) path with their dogs bounding around that never think to call them over or move slightly to let you past. They just expect you to stay behind them until they meander along the next 100m or go around them on the horse sand track. One of the silver linings on a rainy day is that they are fairweather walkers.

And there's a bloke does follow the rules but who has one of those extendable black leads and a dog that likes to be at the opposite side of the path. I'm sure that one day I'm not going to recognise him in time and come a cropper.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Those long leads are a menace. The other night I saw a dog on one side of the path and it's owners on the other. Dog looked to be running free, only at the last minute did I see the thin grey lead and stopped with my tyre touching it.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Those long leads are a menace. The other night I saw a dog on one side of the path and it's owners on the other. Dog looked to be running free, only at the last minute did I see the thin grey lead and stopped with my tyre touching it.

Yup...been there, except when it happened to me I didn't see the dog up on the bank or realise the woman on the other side of the very wide path was holding one of those daft leads until it caught me across the bars and I heard a yelp from the undergrowth. Fortunately I was going little faster than walking pace at the time as it was only a Yorkie :shock:
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    could be worse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... KMOUwUugtI

the blonde trainer could give me some discipline any day of the week
  • mudcow007

Dude, you got pwned. Pussy-whipped even. Massive time. I bet those old codgers were high-fiving each other for an hour after you turned tail and ran.

That's a dark cloud that's gonna cast a shadow from here to Boxing Day. I feel sorry for you dude, really sorry.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

to equal the balance do i have to wait outside the local bingo hall an have a mass brawl with the wurthers original brigade?
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    If I`m riding along cyclepaths I try to give people the horn as soon as I see them, I find its very effective and sometimes makes the ladies jump a little as they don`t expect it :lol:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_210161
  • Could have used one of this morning, might have encouraged the old bid standing smack bang in the middle of the cycle lane, right before a cyclists only bridge over the Hogsmill in New Malden, to show some sense and perhaps move out of the way?

Not like there wasn't a very large amount of area she could have been while she waited for her off leash dog to come back to her, from its playing with all the other offleash dogs. Not like she couldn't see me coming, as she was proclaiming loudly to her friends, that I could quite easily see her, was evidence of that. Proclaiming just as loudly that 'they're supposed to stop' wasn't however going to make me.

Want to stand in the middle love? I'll go around you, no problem, no need to slow down that way, your dog was after all well out of the way, and unless you're so arrogant as to think that moving to stand right in front of me, trying to avoid you, is going to work without someone getting hurt...?

But stop because you think I should? Why should I?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    BigLee1 wrote:
    If I`m riding along cyclepaths I try to give people the horn as soon as I see them, I find its very effective and sometimes makes the ladies jump a little as they don`t expect it :lol:
    Yeah, that could get you into a lo-ot of trouble with the police; and dude, you know what they say if you feel you have to brag about its size in your forum name :wink:
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    BigLee1 wrote:
    i try to give people the horn

Occurs naturally for me.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    A dog in a public area must be under control at all times.
    The biggest problem is the owner.
    The dog is normally minding its own business, the owner sees me and decides that it's a good time to call to the dog.
    The poor animal gets confused (it was happy sniffing other dogs shoot or whatever they do), but then stands in the middle of the cycle path instead.

Oh god. This. I have lost count of the number of times this has happened to me.