Confidence issues?

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi guys, Just looking for some words of wisdom as to what you'd do?

I'm confident on the roads but not confident with the weather... Today I saw 2 cyclists fall due to ice on apparently well gritted roads. The cold/wet doesn't phase me, If anything I prefer it to be colder as it makes me ride harder and more concentrated.

My issue is with the fact I've always thought to myself confidence is key, The more confident I am on the roads the less chance of accident? And I'm not feeling very confident with icey conditions. Should I knock the commute to work on the head during colder temperatures, even though if I don't get my ride in I get grumpy lol or just man up and do it?

The bike I commute on is the bike in my Sig, Voodoo Bokor. I know of snow/studded etc tyres but how do they go on roads with just patches of ice? I'm guessing they don't last long/work well unless being used in icey conditions as opposed to icey patches here and there?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Be wary of the front brake on ice - many slides are caused by hitting the brake when on icy surfaces: any slight turning and you'll quickly be off.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Run studded tyres at low pressures so you have a big contact patch and the studs ar in contact all the time not just wehn cornering. Brake very gently, you want to trim your speed not lock your wheel, not having discs helps here.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • DanDax1990
    When I brake I don't lock my wheels anyway and will studded tyres last well on roads that are just patches of ice and mainly in contact with tarmac?
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    I have Marathon Winters, studded tyres, on my MTB and used them all through last winter. This morning was thier first roll out this year they are still in fine condition.
    My commute is mainly treated roads with the old patches of ice and few untreated sections which are slippery.
    In the main though my tyres are on tarmac most of the time and it doesn't seem to have done any harm to them.
    In terms of peace of mind on the ice, I wouldn't be without them anymore.
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    When I brake I don't lock my wheels anyway and will studded tyres last well on roads that are just patches of ice and mainly in contact with tarmac?
    Live just along the ringroad from you and have similar issue, most of my commute is on gritted roads with the odd black ice patch remaining. Seems to be a big spend on marathon winters if they loose the studs on the tarmac by the time i get to the the icy stretch they'll be pointless no?

Also being clipped into spd's in this weather is worrying, remember last years attempt at ski-biking on the mongoose
    fun maybe but, easily go offroad when things were too hairy. Now i dont have that option, it'll be a long push home when it turns nasty out there. :(
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    Topaxci wrote:
    I have Marathon Winters, studded tyres, on my MTB and used them all through last winter. This morning was thier first roll out this year they are still in fine condition.
    My commute is mainly treated roads with the old patches of ice and few untreated sections which are slippery.
    In the main though my tyres are on tarmac most of the time and it doesn't seem to have done any harm to them.
    In terms of peace of mind on the ice, I wouldn't be without them anymore.
    ah thats all i wanted to hear, thanks
    hi ho hi ho, back to wiggles i go.. :D
  • Winter tyres may help!

Also dont be in a rush, leave early in the bad weather! Take your time, have faith in yourself, dont be frightened of what hasnt happened 8)
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    DanDax1990 wrote:

The point is that on a slippery surface it is much, much, easier to lock a wheel because there's so little grip.

I'm still riding at the moment on ordinary road tyres, despite the freezing temperatures. It's fine as long as you're cautious on any surface you aren't certain of (and don't chance this with junctions and roundabouts - if it looks iffy there's no reason not to get off, push the bike to the other side of it, and set off again). For the most part, I've been fine being careful not to brake and turn at the same time, and to take bends slowly enough that I can keep my weight over the tyres as far as possible so that they're being pressed down into the road (as opposed to leaning into the bend so that they're being loaded sideways).

In the interests of full disclosure I did recently have a minor slow tumble on a roundabout, but that was on a warm day and I'm attributing it to the fact that it's heavily trafficked by buses that seem to spread a film of diesel everywhere.
  • DanDax1990
    Thanks for the replies guys, Gonna try get some of the tyres :)

With the colder weather I've been a lot more cautious on the commute anyway, Plus its my first winter. I feel like I'm doing everything right. Also noticed there seems to be a lot more hairy moments, especially close/fast over takes and being cut up when the weather is colder and wetter. Don't see why drivers feel the need to rush so much, ain't like they're cold and wet is it? lol Well that was what I noticed last month... This month has started far better, not had any moments yet and have actually been let out at junctions which was nice.

Bit gutted because I'm off work today, Woke up with horrible tonsilitus and a splitting headache, adding to the fact that my nose is like a tap slightly left turned on lol. But this could be a good thing and give me the chance to strip, clean and maintain my bike, which is well needed. Hope everyone had a safe commute today.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Commute was safe, rain's been washing the ice and snow away this evening :(

Still managed to lose it on my lunch time ride (road climb then 500ft off road descent), I'd lost most of my speed by the time the snow got me. Was more a case of not being able to see the trail through the snow and taking a poor line than hitting a patch of ice, maybe lacking the confidence to take my usual line because of the conditions.

No damage, bar twisted handle bars and it aggravated the broken shoulder I picked up last winter by banking too hard in greasy conditions, most likely fuel on the road, possibly the stuff they put in the grit to disperse water, also due to running late so rushing.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Having smashed myself up quite badly on ice in the past, I used to just take the car on icy days. Since buying studded tyres in Jan 2010, nothing has stopped me. They are fantastic. I also have an option of an off road route, which is even better when it's really bad and cars are sliding every where - that was very entertaining seeing all the cars stuck as I sailed by.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Get on the bike > take the corners slow.

Ride to get to work in one piece, not as fast as possible, and you'll be fine.

More time spent on the bike usually means more confidence.
  • Have you considered brushing your teeth with Colgate?

BTW be vary wary of typing 'ring' and 'confidence' into a search engine of a work's computer :oops:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    When there's ice, or the threat of ice, I don't bother riding. I can always get the bike out on another day.