Cold night - Ice early am?

BR 1979
BR 1979 Posts: 296
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
Weather forecast says -2c in Kensington. Cycling to City at 6am tomorrow. Do I have any realistic chance of encountering ice do you think?

I have only ever seen post-snow-refreeze ice on that commute, but nevertheless, any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I don't think so - I don't remember much ice on the main roads last winter in London :)
  • Putney to the City has been fine the last couple of days - saw a few frozen puddles in the gutter and on pavements, but my route (mainly but not totally main roads) was fine, even the minor roads which hadn't been gritted.

Having just returned to commuting by bike after 18 months or so, my memory is hazy...is it really only post snow that there tends to be ice in Central London? I did deliberate quite a bit over the last couple of days as to whether to ride, as ice is really the only thing that will stop me and there were yellow warnings for ice with temps of around -2, but I'm glad I took the risk and did ride in. But have I just been lucky or do i only need to worry after snow?