House insurance

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,965
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
I've just renewed my contents insurance.

I had a quote from Aviva (my existing insurer) for £194. Today i saw an email from Martin Lewis all about insurance and warning me not to "auto renew", so I thought I'd ask Aviva for a quote as a new customer.

£125 :evil:

Yesterday I was told that the £194 quote included loyalty discount for having car and buildings with them, even though this didn't show up on the documents anywhere. What a bunch of felons.

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Same for car insurance.
    I got a renewal quote for £250. Go online - £200.
    I thought there would be a loyalty thing (but doubted it) and phoned up.
    "Nothing we can do".
    Oh we'll, I dare say I may be back next year when I have to switch again.
    It can't make that much business sense to attract new customers if you are going to lose old ones.
    I presume that they prey on the lazy.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Capt Slog wrote:
    I've just renewed my contents insurance.

I had a quote from Aviva (my existing insurer) for £194. Today i saw an email from Martin Lewis all about insurance and warning me not to "auto renew", so I thought I'd ask Aviva for a quote as a new customer.

£125 :evil:

Yesterday I was told that the £194 quote included loyalty discount for having car and buildings with them, even though this didn't show up on the documents anywhere. What a bunch of felons.

Welcome to 20 years ago.

This has been going on for an eternity and most insurers do it, you'd be surprised how many people don't switch.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Yep, people who let their insurance auto renew are a captive audience. Captive audience = Charge what you want £££

If you want to see daylight robbery try Googling "cancel AOL contract". AOL make it 99.9% impossible to cancel, if you manage to find the right phone number (which is well hidden) and you phone them up to cancel they put you on hold until you hang up. Any email you send them will go missing/ignored. There is no link on their website.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby