Suntour XCM-H forks remote lockout conversion possible?

mikkybgs
mikkybgs Posts: 78
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

My brother has the Suntour XCM-H forks on his bike and I was wanting to get him a handlebar remote lock-out lever for Christmas.
Does any one have any experience with this and these forks?
Is it even possible?

I know the forks have a lock-out lever but wanted to see if anyone here has had a go?

I found a place selling the levers on ebay here: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SR-SUNTOUR-Remote-Lockout-Lever-fit-Axon-Epicon-Raidon-XCR-suspension-forks-/261135961278?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3cccea8cbe

Advice appreciated, thanks....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH more info needed.

Year?
    XCM-H****
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Apologies, didn't realise there were variations on the XCM-H's.

They are only listed on the bike spec at that. They are the ones on this bike:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec030848

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ok the H is not listed so it must be a low cost Scott option.

so without buying a new cartridge Nope. and the cost is possible could be more than another better fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it has a lockout already, adding a remote is possible, but using new parts it will cost about £65 and isn't worth it as for that money you could buy some used much better forks.

If you can find some busted up forks with LO for sale it would be viable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If it has a lockout already, adding a remote is possible, but using new parts it will cost about £65 and isn't worth it as for that money you could buy some used much better forks.

If you can find some busted up forks with LO for sale it would be viable.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I know they're not the best forks, but they suit him for his needs.
    I just thought adding a remote lockout would be helpful for him.

Did you check the ebay link? They seem to be selling the lever there for around £20. Would that not be all I'd need?
    Would it be a case of replacing bits of the fork opposed to just adding the lockout lever?

I have one on my RockShox and it just looks like a brake cable is connected to the lockout mechanism.....or am I over-simplifyiing?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They often have springs in the damper cartridge too, and other different parts. It is not worth doing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The lever doesn't give you the actuation part on top of the fork leg, so unless you have forks with a broken lever that kit is again pointless.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.