Solution for SMIDSY?

evil_breakfast
evil_breakfast Posts: 461
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
_64585428_64585423.jpg
A university graduate has designed a bike light which projects an image of a bicycle on to the road to alert drivers
Emily Brooke, who studied product design at the University of Brighton, said she hopes it will save lives.
The 27-year-old, from Bath, worked with bus companies, road safety experts and a local authority to develop her idea.
It is called Blaze and uses a laser to project a bright green image five metres in front of the bike, in order to eliminate blind spots.
She said she thought of the idea after taking part in a charity cycle ride.
"At the time I was studying product design and for my final year project I chose urban cycling," she said.
"As part of the project, I studied the statistics for cycling accidents. And as I cycled around Brighton I thought to myself, 'that bus or van over there can't see me'."
Her product currently costs £60 and works either in a flashing or constant mode.
Ms Brooke, who graduated last year, has won a place on an entrepreneurial scholarship at Babson College, Massachusetts.
You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    No.
    If they can't see me with my current lights, they have no chance of seeing that.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cleat found it yesterday viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12893408
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Also, I can see pedestrians stepping out onto the road to look at this weirdness. Oops.
    And isn't it just another take on the version that projected your own private cycle lane?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    daviesee wrote:
    No.
    If they can't see me with my current lights, they have no chance of seeing that.
    The idea is that instead of another area of light in a sea of light, this green cycle emblem attracts the eye and flags up that a cyclist is close behind it. I like it - neat simple idea; why wouldn't you?