New Cassette

markchalmers
markchalmers Posts: 90
edited December 2012 in The workshop
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Merida Cyclo-cross 4 and want to run a full 105 set-up but the Cassette that came with the bike is a Shimano CS-4600-10 12-28 Z. I have seen that Wiggle are running an offer on the Shimano 105 5700 cassette and wondered if the upgrade is worth it and what I would need to buy on top to support this upgrade (if anything).

Link to bike specs - http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a83284 ... =GBP&cn=gb

link to wiggle cassette - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-570 ... -cassette/

Also another question I have is what the major difference is having say a 11-25 set-up over say 12-28

Regards,
Mark

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    What is making you choose a 11-25?
  • I don't know much about Bike parts or specifics but the first option on Wiggle was 11-25 and the 12-28 is what I'm running now, I'm curious to know how these effect your riding. I deal with a lot of hills and would like some good "hill" climb gears.
  • zx6man
    The 105 cassette is avaiable in other options on wiggle as an 11-28, so you stay the same but get a slightly "faster" high gear. I would stick with the tiagra cassette to be honest. And it would affect you by not getting up hills easier :-)
  • So there wouldn't be any real need to switch over to the 105 Cassette then?

It is rather strange that my front and rear derailuer are both 105 and my STI shifters but not a 105 Cassete?

I'm not sure why that is it leads me to believe they went with the cheap cassette to keep the price down?

and is there anywhere that explains the advantages or difference in the sizes?
  • zx6man
    edited December 2012
    Its just a cost saving thing I reckon and seems most bikes at that price point are like that.

As for the differences, 11-25 will probably have less steps in the ratios which is ideal for racers to keep the legs spinning without the big gaps.

Not sure I have seen anywhere to give details of what the 10 sprockets are to point out the differences, someone will have and will post a link :-)

This may help though if you go into the cassette options

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/bl ... ID=jIfuHfn
  • Thanks for your help I'm looking to look for the information somewhere :)
  • Thanks for the help :)
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    the main difference between the tiagra and 105 cassettes is the tiagra one is all steel with plastic spacers, the 105 cassette has the largest sprockets mounted on an alloy spider. This saves a bit of weight, reduces the chance of the cassette digging into the freehub and may make the larger sprockets a bit less flexible. It also looks nicer.

Just use the tiagra one until it wears out and decide if you want to replace it then. I have tiagra on my daily commute/cx bike and 105 on my weekend bike. Both are good and you can get them cheaper than on Wiggle if you shop about. You can also run SRAM cassettes with shimano, work just as well IME.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I just changed the 105 cassette on my CX to Tiagra,

Negligible difference and as for looks, when its covered in crap - you wont even notice.

Keep as is and change it when it wears out - and as pointed out they do this alot to save money (for you when you purchase).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills