Dura Ace in winter

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
As the 7 of 9 thread seemed to develop in a different direction;

Is it worth upgrading Shimano 105 to Dura Ace on an all season bike?

I don't think that shift accuracy comes into it, the 105 setup is perfect. The only advantages I can see are blingness and weight......

I have too much time on my hands!

Comments

• Let's face it DA parts are very expensive and wear out quick. Why you'd want to use them in winter, when everything wears out even quicker, is beyond me. That said, it's your money, do what you like with it.
  • Aye, sorry, what was I thinking..

Ali-Larter-Hot-320x240.jpg
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'm using my Di2 through the winter. I bought it to use it, not to admire it and make it last longer by locking it a garage for 5 months a year. Keep it clean, keep it well lubed, don't ride through salt mines and two-foot deep floods and you'll be ok.

Edit to add don't fall off either. That does a sight more damage than a few hundred miles in winter.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Comes down to how much you value the bling - if you were bothered about weight you'd go SRAM or Campag!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Di2 makes perfect sense through the winter.

no cables. perfect shifting every time
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    CiB wrote:
    I'm using my Di2 through the winter. I bought it to use it, not to admire it and make it last longer by locking it a garage for 5 months a year. Keep it clean, keep it well lubed, don't ride through salt mines and two-foot deep floods and you'll be ok.

Edit to add don't fall off either. That does a sight more damage than a few hundred miles in winter.

I thought you'd given up riding for the Winter, or was that just adding to Stats?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I've got SRAM Red derailleurs & shifters and they've lasted two winters so far. No damage on them to speak of.

I'd advise against buying incredibly expensive chains & cassettes for your commuter though. I don't think you really get the best out of them unless they're clean before every ride.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    gbsahne wrote:
    I thought you'd given up riding for the Winter, or was that just adding to Stats?
    I had a Damascus-like conversion on Saturday when it was sunny, bright & fun instead of being up at 6:40 on a cold dark December morning, so I got up at 6:40 on Tuesday's cold dark December morning and got back into it. It was fun; I'd recommend it.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    CiB wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:
    I had a Damascus-like conversion on Saturday when it was sunny, bright & fun instead of being up at 6:40 on a cold dark December morning, so I got up at 6:40 on Tuesday's cold dark December morning and got back into it. It was fun; I'd recommend it.

6:40? Half the day is done by then!

If you can have Dura - Ace have Dura - Ace,

But like was suggested would consider going down a few rungs on chains and cassettes.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    rubertoe wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

6:40? Half the day is done by then!

If you can have Dura - Ace have Dura - Ace,

But like was suggested would consider going down a few rungs on chains and cassettes.
    Ditto. I am well away on the road by that time.
    Back OT. I applied the same logic to Chorus and I am in my second winter.
    I don't regret it for a second but I did go for KMC as a replacement chain and will likely go for Centaur cassettes when required.
    I buy to use and if something doesn't wear out then it means that I am not using it enough. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    When rebuilding the CX for all year use, I removed all of the DA bling and fitted 105 / Tiagra; the DA is going on the road bike I'll build up at some point.