Equilibrium 20

mmmcmax
mmmcmax Posts: 20
edited December 2012 in Road general
I own a very nice Equilibrium 20 with the intention of using it as my main ride throughout spring and summer. In fact I will do the Deloitte Ride Across Britain on it.

Just a question but why do people keep saying this is a winter ride when I think of it as my main ride (I know it takes guards etc) but I think its good enough to be up there in the pack. Sadly I bought an 2011 Equilibrium 10 as my winter stead...each to his own I guess.

Comments

• thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    It is called a winter bike simply because it takes full mudgaurds. My Equilibrium is both my best bike and my winter bike. :D

Am I interpreting your post right - you have two Equlibriums, one for summer and one for winter?!
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    It's because some marketing guys and bike mags jurnos convinced people that any bike that isn't carbon, takes tyres wider than 25mm and mudguards will be heavy and slow and only suitable for winter and commuting :wink:

Lovely bikes BTW.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    It is called a winter bike simply because it takes full mudgaurds. My Equilibrium is both my best bike and my winter bike. :D

Am I interpreting your post right - you have two Equlibriums, one for summer and one for winter?!

Yes I have 2. I got the E20 and thought it looked so good that I didn't want to ride it through all the winter shit....so I found a bargain E10 from 2011 that I bought and stuck some guards on it. Yes over the top but they are such good bikes and will live so much longer than carbon.
  • Barteos wrote:
    It's because some marketing guys and bike mags jurnos convinced people that any bike that isn't carbon, takes tyres wider than 25mm and mudguards will be heavy and slow and only suitable for winter and commuting :wink:

Lovely bikes BTW.

Agreed! My cracks along at a good pace...
  • mmmcmax wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:

Yes I have 2. I got the E20 and thought it looked so good that I didn't want to ride it through all the winter shoot....so I found a bargain E10 from 2011 that I bought and stuck some guards on it. Yes over the top but they are such good bikes and will live so much longer than carbon.

I'm sure some people would be happy with a bargain 2011 E10 as their main ride...
  • My new frame and fork arrived this morning. Planning on building it up with shiney alloy parts and Brooks saddle and bar tape. No way am I using it as a winter bike only.
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • n +1!
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    My new frame and fork arrived this morning. Planning on building it up with shiney alloy parts and Brooks saddle and bar tape. No way am I using it as a winter bike only.

You have winter in the Channel Islands ? :o
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • Drumlin wrote:
    My new frame and fork arrived this morning. Planning on building it up with shiney alloy parts and Brooks saddle and bar tape. No way am I using it as a winter bike only.

You have winter in the Channel Islands ? :o

:D Not so much as in the UK in that we don't get much of a frost or snow, but it rains an awful lot in the winter and the windchill factor is significant. We get the same crap on the roads though, if not worse, on some of the coastal routes
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    ive just built up my Equilibrium initially as a winter bike but it is such a nice ride it will be ridden most of the year unless racing or tting i cant recommend it highly enough.
  • The Equilibrium is a success story and proves a very important point.
    Premium fancy steel made frames are just as good as an off the peg Taiwan made fit for all frame made of low key Reynolds 725 "gas pipe". it proves anyone who believes spending thousands on a frame gives you that extra stiffness, comfort etc wrong.
    It is the perfect bike for the average as well as the demanding rider... Genesis hit the nail on the head with this. Now they have to come out with a version that takes short reach calipers for the sportive/recreational market
    left the forum March 2023
  • Why is the current version not suitable for the sportive/recreational market?
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Why is the current version not suitable for the sportive/recreational market?

It is, but the long drop brake calipers are a trade off to be able to fit mudguards... Short reach ones are way more effective
    left the forum March 2023
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    I've got the Genesis Croix de Fer ( a proper winter bike :wink: ) and it's fantastic so I can well believe how good the Equilibrium is.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • its an awesome bike. I'm sat looking at it now in the kitchen....attached to my turbo which will go through an hour in hell at lunch time...
  • It's a shame Genesis don't do smaller frame sizes for short people like me. :(