Is it worth it?

paulneenan76
paulneenan76 Posts: 777
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm about to start a frame swap and want to determine whether changing the gear cabling and outers with a cable pack of sp41 shimano pre-lubed steel jobbies is worth chucking £20 at? The current cabling is long enough for the new frame but it looks a bit tatty with a few nicks in places but nothing which affects shifting.

I'm under budget for the build so far but happy to buy a new set if its worthwhile - although shimano brake hoses will not be changed.

If so. Is clarks or jagwire worth considering?

Thanks
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the ends like new? no damage where the bolts clamped it?

new cable time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Buy it by the metre at CRC plus stainless inners.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I would say buy SP41 outer by the meter as well but buy it from mtb-direct.co.uk

It's cheaper than CRC and if you are wanting coloured cables they do them as well, I know a lot of people disagree with them but I like them. They also do the SP40 furrels cheap so I would get yourself some of those as well. I would then get some pre-lubed inners from CRC or somewhere and you're looking at about half the price of the kit.
  • Thanks All

I only want black. The grey is ok but it's too light for my scheme - anything else is a bit OTT for me personally.

I can get the whole gear cable kit posted for £15, which according to On One, is more than enough for my needs. It seems buying separately would not add up to a big enough saving over 1 pack that is inclusive of everything I need. It includes all the little bits too.

Thanks
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374