Change a CV into a CV for something else

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
I've got this CV, that I send off for IT Support & Web Dev / SEO jobs.

But I'm wanting to speed getting a job up, and moving to my desired location, so I am lowering my searches down to data entry.

Does anyone have any idea how I should change this CV to be suitable for sending off to data entry jobs?

Should I remove the work experience I did in London as it's irrelevant?

CV on Google Drive:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwlL4Q ... ktGV3JUR2s

Cheers.

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I don't know if enough about the field to offer specific advice, but here's some generic advice.
    Should I remove the work experience I did in London as it's irrelevant?

No you shouldn't. It's better than a blank space on your CV and shows that other people trust you to work independently (I assume that some of the work was done on your own). You are probably overqualified for data entry thanks to your university studies, so just leave it in.

One thing you do need to look at is punctuation.
    Dissertation - The use of technology within cycle fitness training in an aim to find out
    if technology really does increase a cyclists fitness,

It's cyclist's, not cyclists.
    I also monitor device usage, and online access.

No need for the comma.
    with distributing flyers, picking up deliveries such as bike parts, sandwiches for the café, bicycle maintenance and

Change the second comma to "and".
    Other tasks included computer maintenance related tasks

computer maintenance-related tasks
    The installation of Windows 7 and streamlining for faster running, the troubleshooting of general problems on Windows 7 & Windows server operation systems.

I'd change "The installation" to "I installed" or "Installing". "the troubleshooting of general problems", I would just say "troubleshooting general problems", unless yours is a common formulation in the IT industry.
    I also like to build and maintain both bicycle and computers

Surely "bicycles"?

I'm sure that this all seems really picky to you, but getting these things wrong shows a lack of attention to detail. It could be the difference between getting an interview and having your CV chucked away.
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    I might go `computer-maintenance related` since its the computers and the maintenance which are linked rather than the maintenance and the related. Or just 'computer maintenance tasks'. Sound advice though. When I was in the position of recruiting people I'm afraid unchecked or badly written CVs didn't make the 'possibles' pile. On the subject of changing the CV, I'm of the view you should keep a pretty standard one and tailor the covering letter.
  • DrKJM wrote:
    ...I'm of the view you should keep a pretty standard one and tailor the covering letter.

+1

Don't hide your skills and experience. Instead concentrate on communicating the reasons why you are applying for the data entry position and why your good reasons for applying.
  • finchy
    DrKJM wrote:
    I might go `computer-maintenance related` since its the computers and the maintenance which are linked rather than the maintenance and the related. Or just 'computer maintenance tasks'.

Related would act as an adjective in this case, so would take a hyphen. It is a tricky one though. The English language is a pig to learn and even worse to teach.

I remember going through stuff like this when I was teaching for the Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency exams. It was like mental torture for the students. You can see the moment that they lost all hope of ever mastering the language completely. Good times. :twisted:
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    johnfinch wrote:
    DrKJM wrote:
    I might go `computer-maintenance related` since its the computers and the maintenance which are linked rather than the maintenance and the related. Or just 'computer maintenance tasks'.

Related would act as an adjective in this case, so would take a hyphen. It is a tricky one though. The English language is a pig to learn and even worse to teach.

Ta - always good to pick up a new bit of knowledge. Then I'd go for 'computer-related maintenance'
  • finchy
    Sorry, I was mistaken - it would act as a participle in a compound adjective. It would still take the hyphen though.