My retro Colnago Master

nicklloyd
nicklloyd Posts: 58
edited June 2013 in Your road bikes
I built up this Colnago Master last year. Ridden it a few times round the hills of North Wales and it performed really well. Except old brakes are terrible when your used to modern dual pivots!!

I think the frame is slightly too new for the Campagnolo Super Record & Record components, but I love the look of the bikes from this era. Just need some leather toe straps to complete it (but when i ride it I fit clip in pedals anyway!!)

Not sure whether to keep it or sell it as at present as it never gets used and seems a waste to have it just laying around.

To keep or sell?? What do you think?

Cheers

Nick
Nick

Retul Bike Fits at Romero Performance
2009 BMC SL-C Pro Machine Super Record
1969 Carlton Longfellow Single Speed

Comments

• KEEP!!! She looks great :-)

I've got a modern Master that I built up last year with as many shiny pasrts as I could muster and she's a stunner, but now I'm hooked on building up a true classic Colnago - or a Wilier Ramato if I can find one in my size.
  • Oh I'd sell it. Did you mention what size it was? :wink:
  • Sell? Are you mad?
    if you don't love her and start adding modern components, then sell her to someone who will love her for the way she is.

"If you DON'T love her, set her free!"

If you don't love her, I suggest you see a doctor... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • I'd buy it!!
  • I loved building her. Its probably just due to not using last summer at all due to bad weather (not riding her in the rain!!, see I do love her!) or doing Ironman Tri training. Maybe I'll give it another go next summer.

Nick

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Looks fake, won't fetch much I'm afraid.

What size is it?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nicklloyd wrote:
    I loved building her. Its probably just due to not using last summer at all due to bad weather (not riding her in the rain!!, see I do love her!) or doing Ironman Tri training. Maybe I'll give it another go next summer.

I ride my 1980s Sannino Super Record so much that I sold my modern bike. Last sunday it was freezing cold, so I just popped to Richmond Park to try out the new 27 mm Pave' tubulars... 80 PSI, it was like riding a dream.. no mechanical noise whatsoever... a far cry from these modern bikes, which have a new bottom bracket pitch of creak every other week. No computers, just feeling the legs working towards 25 mph on a 53 x 16.
    The brakes actually work pretty well. I suggest you change the pads, maybe yours are 30 years old and could do with new rubber. Kool stop makes Super Record compatible blocks, even in their softer salmon compound if the black is not satisfactory.
    left the forum March 2023
  • NapoleonD wrote:

What size is it?

Fake!! The put some work in on it with the logo cut into bottom bracket shell, top of seat stays, rear brake bridge and the down tube lug! Never mind making the crimped tubing. :wink:

Its a big one. 61cm
    Nick

• nicklloyd wrote:
    I loved building her. Its probably just due to not using last summer at all due to bad weather (not riding her in the rain!!, see I do love her!) or doing Ironman Tri training. Maybe I'll give it another go next summer.

I ride my 1980s Sannino Super Record so much that I sold my modern bike. Last sunday it was freezing cold, so I just popped to Richmond Park to try out the new 27 mm Pave' tubulars... 80 PSI, it was like riding a dream.. no mechanical noise whatsoever... a far cry from these modern bikes, which have a new bottom bracket pitch of creak every other week. No computers, just feeling the legs working towards 25 mph on a 53 x 16.
    The brakes actually work pretty well. I suggest you change the pads, maybe yours are 30 years old and could do with new rubber. Kool stop makes Super Record compatible blocks, even in their softer salmon compound if the black is not satisfactory.

Your probably right on the brake blocks. They look original with almost no wear so probably just gone hard.

I did really like just how quiet the bike was. I remember the other summer coming down a descent in North Wales on it and being amazed at just how silent it was.

Sell it? I think I'll go home and polish it!!
    Nick

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    nicklloyd wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

What size is it?

Fake!! The put some work in on it with the logo cut into bottom bracket shell, top of seat stays, rear brake bridge and the down tube lug! Never mind making the crimped tubing. :wink:

Its a big one. 61cm

Yeah, i suspect its not worth much. It's my size though so, say, 100 quid?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Great to see subtle classics on the roads.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Oh i think you should sell this on as soon as possible,i offer £102 btw.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    NapoleonD wrote:

What size is it?
    lol
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Its clearly been repainted since I have it on good authority that Colnago never sold any red frames (apparently Ferrari had a trademark on the colour red for all products made in Italy)

However despite this obvious flaw and since it is my size, I would also be happy to take it off your hands, lets say £103, cash waiting, ideally tomorrow, I will pick it up, maybe in the morning ? No sod it I will collect it tonight if we can agree on £102.50....

Rgds

£104 ?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    She's lovely.
  • Stunning bike

In regards to the hard brake pad issue, Ive heard its possible to take some rough sand paper to the blocks to remove the hard outer "crust" that has formed. could be worth a try before you source new ones
  • nicklloyd
    nicklloyd Posts: 58
    The Master has had a rebuild. Not quite as retro now. But as the frame wasn't l'eroica compliant I thought I'd put stuff on that slows me down better and will probably get ridden more.

Just a chain and a narrower 111mm italian bottom bracket to fit the chainset I have. Looking forward to riding this soon though.
    Nick

• FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Gorgeous, see if you can source some cobalto nuts for the brakes or heck, go whole hog and get some Deltas and you've got the bike that got me into cycling.

Edwig would be jealous.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.