can anyone suggest a good trail light ?

sadler89
sadler89 Posts: 67
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi all

looking at buying a good trail light for the winter what will light up everything, looking to spend about £150 dont mind buying a used light but wanted to know if anyone could recommend one that will last a while and is bright thanks tony

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er same as in this thread
    viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12893331
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sorry started new thread as i thought it may be in the wrong section
  • ok have you used this lot ? cheers tony
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    sadler89 wrote:
    ok have you used this lot ? cheers tony

Not personally but a mate runs them and they are eye wateringly bright.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ok well that sounds like what im after want to ride over the downs after work, finish work just as its getting dark so by the time i have ridden the road to the trails i cant see a thing
  • have brought the lights, saw a video of someone using one on youtube looks rather bright but they are cheaper to buy on everbuying.com for 20.52 usd
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The DX light (and all the identical ones you'll find for sale, including on ebay from UK suppliers for just a quid or so more) are excellent for the price, I use them in confined woodland in the full dark and rarely have an issue, the only slight criticism is that the close to spread means things disapear from sight just as you get onto them, but you shouldn't be looking at the front wheel anyway!

I use one, the son uses one, the daughter is buying one and of the people I ride with at least 50% use one, even those that have progressed to something much dearer keep it as the helmet light. Battery run time about 4 hours.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    If you are buying batteries as well, throw them away when they arrive and buy decent ones. Anything with 'Fire' in the name is pretty rubbish to start with, and even worse someone(s) also making fake Ultrafire batteries, that are even worse than useless, and potentially dangerous.
    Panasonic, Sony, Senybor, Torchy or Xtar work better.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    cooldad wrote:
    If you are buying batteries as well, throw them away when they arrive and buy decent ones. Anything with 'Fire' in the name is pretty rubbish to start with, and even worse someone(s) also making fake Ultrafire batteries, that are even worse than useless, and potentially dangerous.

Absolute rubbish, many people use them without issue including myself, many thousands of people actually.
  • cooldad
    Concorde wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Absolute rubbish
    Absolutely - that's what I said. Although the real ones work, 3000 mAh is about 1500 in real life.
    The fake ones are scary though - so I'd check them carefully or bin anyway. (Easy way of checking if fake (apart from the fact that they look shoddily made) is they don't have Ultrafire engraved on the negative terminal.)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mine come with 4 18650's assembled into a pack, seal the ends with silicon for waterproofing, they last at least 4 hours on full power and never had an issue in 12 months.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Although the real ones work, 3000 mAh is about 1500 in real life.

The 2400/2500 mah are fine. As are the Trustfire ones. ALL batteries rarely hit what they say due to the way they are tested.
  • cooldad
    supersonic wrote:
    Although the real ones work, 3000 mAh is about 1500 in real life.

The 2400/2500 mah are fine. As are the Trustfire ones. ALL batteries rarely hit what they say due to the way they are tested.
    Probably true - I tend to use 2200 Senybors which easily last longer than '3000' Ultrafires.
    My fake ones didn't even have the power to run the lights on high setting though, just low for about half an hour. Look the same.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If someone can fake ultrafire batteries surely they can fake anyones batteries. All you can do is buy from a well known seller
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    I do, now. Local trusted sellers like Torchy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    All of the answers above are valid. However, if your after more of a flood light than a spot i'd suggest going for two more open faced lights like this

T2IRikXilXXXXXXXXX_!!185448926.jpg

putting some privacy screening tape over the lenses like this to scatter the beams...

IMG_1240.JPG

and then buy a better mount (such as the Hope ones from ChainReactions.com) and angle them slightly outwards when on the trail so that they throw more to the left and right.

Either way, make sure you go for a light with a Cree XML T6 (or U2) in it as these are currently the brightest LED's on the market.
  • have brought the lights already went for the one suggested first as there are soooo many good review of them and are fairly cheap if they are as good as said to be

also have brought some ultrafire batteries off ebay unsure if they are fake or not but were cheap anyway but still rather they worked, heres a link to them
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190411215959? ... 1439.l2649

cheers tony
  • cooldad
    £1 each including postage - from Hong Kong. Good luck. I don't even know how they manage the postage.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Lol. They'll probably work but i wouldn't imagine the runtimes are going to be anything fantastic.
  • not sure but always get electronic bits from there like hdmi leads 99p never a problem, alot of people have brought batteries from them and couldnt find anything on negative feedback
  • also you may want to consider 1.00 GBP=12.4792 HKD
  • cooldad
    And £1 is Zim$582.823. Your point being?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • our currency is worth more than theirs .........
  • cooldad
    I think you miss the point of exchange rates. And relative purchasing power.
    Milk (regular), 1 liter 20.00 HK$
    Milk (regular), 1 liter 0.99 £
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools