Carbon frame and carbon seatpost - no carbon compound woes

Plyphon
Plyphon Posts: 433
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a new bike on the way,

On One C456 complete which features a carbon seatpost.

I don't have any carbon assembly compound - is it a bad idea to install sans compound?
I don't know if its a "preferable" or an "utter most must".

If its a stupid idea please say, and I'll pop to the LBS.

Ty.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not needed.

if you find the post slipping then yes you may like to use some.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I opted against a carbon post for my upcoming C456 build but I did check with On One regarding carbon paste and they didn't say it was essential. However, if you can pick it up a small tube for a few quid, then you might as well. Someone that runs carbon parts on a carbon frame would be able to say for sure, but I would imagine that applying paste might reduce rubbing - help with carbon "ping"?

Oh and put it on the Carbon 456 thread in your bikes when it arrives!!

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Plyphon
    Alright cheers guys, I'll see if it slips first.

Cheers!
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    carbon past has tiny particules in it, very fine like tooth paste - the idea being they help to grip the post so stop it slipping, hence the seat post binder bolt can be done up less.

it also serves as an anti-sezie lubricant - after the trouble I had removing a CFp ost out of an Alumnium frame, I would recommend using it, a big tube cost £ 10 and will do more posts than you can shake a stick at.,
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Would recommend using something and assembly paste is not a bad idea even if the seatpost doesn't slip.

Purely anecdotal of course but I once had a carbon bike with a carbon seatpost and the sweat streaming off my face and dripping onto the downtube and seat tube bonded the two together like you wouldn't believe they were 'as one'.
  • I have a 456C and use a carbon seat post, the post is from Exotic / Carbon cycles and they don't reccomend using anything< I didn't and I've never had any problems, I did buy a carbon specific seat clamp from superstar though, they're a little deeper to spread the clamping force.

I was more worried about it siezing inside the frame than slipping, I loosen it off every other month or so just to move it, it always feels free though so i don't this is a problem either.
  • Plyphon
    I have the same Exotic seatpost funnily nuff.

I'll just stick it in and if I ever come across any I'll nick some :)