Specialized Epic / Stumpy / owners using I links

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
As title after getting a set of I links.
Has anyone who owns a Spesh epic or similar running I links and if so how much was required due to running via the BB area.

Thanks

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    What the heck are I links?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited December 2012
    Silly expensive light? cables.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spin%20Ti%20seatpost%20clamp.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Silly expensive light cables.

Dont forget to get the Mini I-link cables as they are a whole mm thinner! @ just under £50 for some cable outers you must be nuts! The pack states there is enough to do front and read from shifter to mech. I reckon one pack will be enough!
  • Actually i reckon the best place to ask this is on the weightweenie forum. They will definitely know!
  • Anonymous
    What the heck are I links?

Alligator I link cables buddy.
  • Anonymous
    Actually i reckon the best place to ask this is on the weightweenie forum. They will definitely know!

Yeah will ask on the weight weenie forum, as for the lengths they don't state weather certain types cover the BB area as on the Spesh set ups the rear cables is just shy under 2 metres.

I'm debating getting these, or the Sp41 outers with power cordz inners
  • Anonymous
    Need to treat myself as it is Xmas soon.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I had mine on a 2009 S-Works, which had full length outer and they didn't work that well. Needed 2 sets, and because they were full length there was a lot of slack in them, shifting wasn't as good as with interrupted outer.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    I had mine on a 2009 S-Works, which had full length outer and they didn't work that well. Needed 2 sets, and because they were full length there was a lot of slack in them, shifting wasn't as good as with interrupted outer.

Cheers buddy,

Sp41 silicone or the Sp81 yumena cabe with power cordz inners.
  • njee20
    Don't bother with the Yumeya outers, I'd not even bother with Power Cordz on yours, far better places to save weight.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    you can buy the mini ilink on ebay from Taiwanese sellers for under £ 38.

the kit is insuffucient for fully covered cable as used on the Specialized and also on Scott bikes.

you can save a little bit on money by buying the extension kit - from mmeory this is about £ 24 - instead of another i-link kit.

this will be sufficient to cover the exposed cable between the end stops, the endstop being missing from the frames mentioned.
  • njee20
    Got an email from Fairwheel Bikes yesterday they've got some new housing which is lighter than I-Links, forget the name, worth a look though.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    it's nokon by anychance? there was some stuff made froom glass - fibre optic materail - announ ced a year or so ago - could it be that?
  • njee20
    No, Nokons have been around for years, also used those, prefer I-Links, easier to fit as they clip together, lighter too. They do carbon Nokons now too, slightly scary, they can shatter under compression, not any good for brakes.

It's AICAN Bungarus, 15g lighter than I-Links, 45g lighter than Shimano for a set of gear outer.

There's the ceramic stuff, Vertebrae or something. Hilariously priced. The bloke came onto Bikemagic and was getting all lippy!