Going Single speed and other questions

varun_me
varun_me Posts: 13
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
The background: I have a Merida XC bike which has had a couple of years of good use. Its not is a usable condition anymore as most of the parts are broken and/or missing. I can't go mountain biking where I live and don't want to give away the frame, so was looking at the option of converting it into a single speed touring bike. Ok, another concern is the money involved in buying shifters, cassettes, the rear mech and the hanger which currently the bike does not have.

What I have is this: A frame (no headset) with a bottom bracket and a three speed crank, pedals and front mech. Two rims, a seatpost and a saddle, a stem and a handlebar. I also have a fork, Suntour 80 mm, which is in a bad condition but I cannot afford a new one now.

My question.
1) If I need to go single speed, can I buy a single speed kit like in the link below and just bang it on ? My rear wheel rim does not seem to have a casette, but has a freewheel.
http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/SKOOSSKK/on_one_singlespeed_converter_kit_with_16t_sprocket

2) If I do this what size chain should I buy ?

3) The fork I mentioned above does not seem to have a crown race. Is the crown race a part of the fork or a part of the headset. I was told that I cannot use the fork without the crown race. Is it possible to get just the crown race alone to fit my fork ?

4) Also since I need to buy a head set, what should I be looking for ? Sorry I have no clue as to how to buy one.

My sincere thanks to anyone who reads this and gives any suggestion.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 nope. really a new wheel is needed.
    2 it depends on the cog thinkness used.
    3 part of the headset. maybe talk to your LBS.
    4 get the LBS to buy and fit as tools are needed to remove and fit.

have a read of Park tools. for servicing info
    and
    this for SS info
    viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12534960
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    4. A headset can be fitted (carefully) using no more than a hammer and screwdriver, a block of wood plus allen keys for the top bolt and stem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thank you for the links nicklaus. but do i really need a new read wheel ? Because in one of the links they actually recommend a s s conversion kit which has spacers and a cog. wont' that fit onto my freewheel ? Sorry if the question sounds amatuerish.

thank you beginner for the info. I think I shall give it a go myself probably.
  • nicklouse
    varun_me wrote:
    thank you for the links nicklaus. but do i really need a new read wheel ? .
    Yes. you have nothing to fit it on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope yours looks like the one on the left. You need a freehub like the one on the right to use that kit
    freewheel-vs-k7.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sorry, My wheel has a freehub. It used to have an 8 speed cassette on it. My rear wheel hub has a freewheel on it. So can I take in a On One S S Kit ???

My friend has my cassette, shifters, rear deraileur and mech hanger. So you get the picture here - for me to buy all these would be quite a lot of money. Which is why I am thinking of going ss, since I don't MTBike anymore. So even buying a wheel would be a quite wasteful, me thinks.

I am from India and we don't have the concept of LBS. We don't get the service of getting things done.
  • nicklouse
    varun_me wrote:
    Sorry, My wheel has a freehub. It used to have an 8 speed cassette on it. My rear wheel hub has a freewheel on it. So can I take in a On One S S Kit ???
    err so which is it?

read what you have written you say it has both. it can not have both.
  • Niklouse. I am sorry. I just got confused between a freewheel and a freehub. Its painful dealing with noobs like me huh ? :roll: :roll:

The below picture is exactly what my wheel looks like. So is that a freehub ?

(((I am reading the difference between a freewheel and a freehub on wiki right now. Sorry for the confusion everyone. :lol: )))
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    OP you orginal post says you do not have a rear wheel. So nick is saying you will need a new one in order to fit the single speed kit! He know's about the freewheel freehub thingy.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't think CC read that right...

Yes if you have a rear wheel with hub as pictured then you can use the on-one SS kit.

Suntour forks are all very very easily serviceable, it really only takes 15 minutes and needs no special tools to often make them 200% better, get the manual off the srsuntour website and post back (start a new thread for it) if you have any questions.

What part of India? I work for an Indian company and visit Mumbai/Pune (Go Pune Warriors!) quite frequently.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thank you for your coments thecycleclinic and the begginer. Very appreciated. I think I got the point. I can fit the on one kit on my wheel. And after that I am going to get my fork serviced as well. THANK YOU very much.

I might have confused a lot of readers with my poor knowledge of bike parts.

BTW, The Begginer, I remember you. You were the one who gave me your opinion when I posted in this forum for the first time probably in 2009. I was trying to buy my first bike then, and you were there to guide me. Thank you so much. I am based in Chennai, but travel a lot, especially in the hills above Delhi.

Cheers,

Varun