hand torches that rock

2»

Comments

• heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Ha. Well, after all that my brother got me an ultrafire t6 with a zoomable beam. Build quality in the zoomable lens is terrible and I managed to break the thing in less than half an hour after taking the lens out to remove some fluff. One of the wires pulled out of the circuit board and can't get in there to resolder. Piece of crap to be honest. Hopefully he can get a refund and I'll invest in something better. The Lenser build quality was so much better. I guess the cheaper ones are only worth going for if you get the fixed lens versions. The zoom facility obviously compromises the reliability if its built on the cheap. Disappointing really and waste of money. Can't see that it would have lasted more than a few uses.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Picked up a cheap set for 15 quid on eBay. 2 torches with brackets and Kodak batteries included. Free rear light too, which is excellent. I'm getting some good rechargeable batteries for them soon as the Kodaks are a bit meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6lq9DzKcNs

Yes I made a video when I received them. Torches seem well made, although the battery insert's a bit thin. They have 3 settings it seems, bright, not as bright and flashing. Used them with no problems and for the money really impressed - oh and they delivered in a day!
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Heavymental. ....Always recommend a T6 and no Zoom. The T6 gives you brightest light a LED can currently get but the ZOOM heads F**K them up (terrible beam patterns and you want as few moving parts as possible).

Bunneh. Glad you like your lights. For the money they are worth a punt if your not into riding in completely dark environments (personally, i'd have rather had a single T6 and charger for the same price.. but then again i ride out in the country without any street lighting). Impressive delivery too, by the sound of it.
  • This one i guess would double up as either a hand, or cycle torch with the right holder..
    Cree 3W Refrakta Tactical torch, mains charger, car charger, 2x 18650 batteries, one for use, one as spare, plus belt holder.
    Spot beam only in two outputs, plus a strobe, so no flood ability, but the beam is really good, i could imagine using this on the bike, no problem.
    One downside, the switch rubber cover...i use mine extensively at work and that rubber cover has flipped off a couple times as ive dragged it out of overall pockets. If you lost it |(i didnt, i was lucky), it'd make switching a tad difficult.
    Very well made otherwise...
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/3w-rechargeable ... rch-415752
  • Ouija
    Bit pricey for just 3w IMO.
  • Ouija wrote:
    Bit pricey for just 3w IMO.
    I tend to agree, it was a present brought without any checks other than the reviews, which are good.
    It's a difficult one when buying something with no experience of it, some buy cheap and regret it. So far, with more use than the average person gives a torch, it's been very good. I work on machinery, it's pulled from my overalls to use maybe 5 to 10 times a day, dropped occasionally, chucked in my toolbox, it's holding up very well. That makes it a safer bet than a cheap one.
    Best VFM . Who knows, there may well be better out there, but this one hasn't let itself down.
  • Ouija
    You could probably upgrade it, i imagine. The emitter pills are pretty standardized (just unscrew the old one and pop in a new one). A lot of people forget that. You can buy something like a Lenser for the build quality and then swap out the emitter for something brighter, for instance. Really depends on what size/shape emitter comes with it.
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    edit wrong thread :oops:
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Ouija wrote:
    Jeeessus! There's a million different options out there! Any links?

For someone in England who stocks them then try this
    bought the one on this link - it is brilliant
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2