Seat tube angles...

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited December 2012 in MTB general
Just comparing older geometry with modern geometry.
My old NRS 1 has a seat tube angle of 72* for a 16.5" frame (I think!) - wheelbase 1041mm.
The Anthem has a seat tube angle of 73.5* - wheelbase 1064.5mm.
Does that make the Anthem more relaxed?
Considering upgrading the NRS 1, to give me a FS riding option. The old Bomber forks were/are sh!t :roll:
So, it's upgrade and lighten, or sell and go for a modern machine.
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No it means the frames are different.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Seat tubes seem to be getting steeper because it makes the bike easier to pedal. Combine it with a slack head tube and you have a bike that can pedal and descend, at the expense of a short cockpit.

Easy solution is to make the top tube longer (too long imo) so we all buy shorter stems and dropper seatposts

Pedalling efficiency seems to be top priority when buying a bike I guess if it's flattering and makes you go fast that all that matters to some.
  • hopper1
    .blitz wrote:
    Seat tubes seem to be getting steeper because it makes the bike easier to pedal. Combine it with a slack head tube and you have a bike that can pedal and descend, at the expense of a short cockpit.

Easy solution is to make the top tube longer (too long imo) so we all buy shorter stems and dropper seatposts

Pedalling efficiency seems to be top priority when buying a bike I guess if it's flattering and makes you go fast that all that matters to some.

The Anthem TT is only 1mm shorter than the NRS TT. Both head angles are 71*
    cooldad wrote:
    No it means the frames are different.

Yep, had noticed that, the decals and colours kind of give it away :roll:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    hopper1 wrote:
    That's deep into xc territory in my book :)

Not 'relaxed' in any sense of the word imo
  • hopper1
    .blitz wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    That's deep into xc territory in my book :)

Not 'relaxed' in any sense of the word imo

True, and that's what I like to ride. I was just thinking that the slightly longer wheelbase of the Anthem, and difference in seat tube angle, would make it a little more settled, less twitchy.
    Not rode my NRS for quite a while, but thinking that a better fork, like a SID or Fox 32, around 100mm, plus a Fox Float R rear unit wouldn't break the bank, but would give me a good xc FS machine.
    I doubt I'd use a FS bike enough to warrant selling the NRS to buy a more modern bike, so a few upgrades should sharpen it up, nicely. :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If the ETT is the same, but one seat angle is steeper than the other (steeper being a higher number), then you are not sat as far behind the bottom bracket. This can make pedaling more efficient, and place weight further forwards.
  • hopper1
    supersonic wrote:
    If the ETT is the same, but one seat angle is steeper than the other (steeper being a higher number), then you are not sat as far behind the bottom bracket. This can make pedaling more efficient, and place weight further forwards.

Thanks, chap. So, as my NRS isn't quite as steep as the Anthem, a straight seat post, or sliding the saddle forward on it's rails would give a similar result?...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The anthem is steeper. You can change the 'effective' angle by sliding the saddle as you suggest. But you'll shorten the reach.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    unless you have made the measurements take them with a pinch of salt.

i would be surprised if the angles were measured the same way.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hopper1
    nicklouse wrote:
    unless you have made the measurements take them with a pinch of salt.

i would be surprised if the angles were measured the same way.

True. I think probably best to measure both cockpit areas and see how they fare.
    At the end of the day, it isn't exactly life threatening, or too critical... Just optional fun ride. :wink: