Wilier Project...

nickanderson
nickanderson Posts: 4
edited December 2012 in Your road bikes
Hi guys,

I haven't been in to road bike for long, in fact I bought a Scott Speedster S20 about 2 years ago when I was getting into cycling and triathlon.

Over the past year i signed up for an Ironman and sold my Scott to help fund a Cervelo P2C, I have been using this entirely for the past 9 months so that I got used to riding it in all conditions and felt fully 'bike-fit' for my ironman.

Anyway, after that race it was time to buy another road bike and I fancied a project. Not having enough money to spend thousands on the latest bikes I decided to buy a piece at a time and slowly build up to a complete bike. I already had wheels that came off my TT bike as I had replaced those with tubs.

Pretty much everything was second hand. I love the looks of the wilier frame, and the colours seemed far less common than some of the others. The frame was perfect apart from a stone chip on the fork leg.

I decided on dura-ace as I would never be able to afford a carbon framed bike complete with a top end group set, but if I bought one piece each payday, I might just be able to. The cranks were new and unused but were second hand as someone couldn't complete a project. Rear mech had been used on a show bike so was discounted. The bars had a scratch on them so ended up being an incredible bargain at £60.

I did buy a new saddle, chain and front mech and all it left for me to get was the shifters...gulp!! I had no idea they were so dear! Are 3 months looking on eBay I never saw a set of 7900 shifters so had to bite the bullet and buy them new.

Anyway, the bike was built and I have to admit that I love it! It's so smooth and erily quiet,I feel none of the bumps in the road. It's come in at 19lbs according to the lbs but with me being 82kg, the weight hardly matters.

The red tyre is just what was left from being on my TT bike. I've added a couple of bottle cages and its been up and down Boxhill a dozen times since I took the pics.

What do you think?

62555a18772d01ef9527a8ede6067665.jpg

c4b89af910eaab6281fa27d7f7f901f5.jpg

691fc5ebbc1acb1c8aada8b5f176d210.jpg

c71de07e9c47cfd3ae9682ff6b0ed04d.jpg

50823b930e10990c790282c38679302d.jpg

I think the build without wheels was about £1300 which for the spec seems good. I suppose it just proves that you can do it if you are prepared to hunt for new or nearly new used parts.

Comments