Rim brakes on DT XR4.1d rims ?

twonks
twonks Posts: 352
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
As title really.

I've had a set of wheels made with the DT rims for a good few years and they have never put a foot wrong.
Am now looking to swap them around and put them onto my wifes V braked commuter based mtb.
There is a braking surface on the rim and the description on various web sites says the below, but the rim itself says for disk only.
All DT Swiss rims feature perfectly adjusted stainless steel eyelets, symmetrical and CNC machined sidewalls, wear indicators and are available in 28, 32 and 36 hole configurations in both black and silver

I have used the rear one with a V brake for around 2 months previously and short of rubbing the anodising off it doesn't seem to have been detrimental to the wheel.

Has anybody any thoughts or used them before in a similar situation ?

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Has anybody any thoughts or used them before in a similar situation ?

Yes I think your mad, if you keep using them with Vs it will end up in tears.

There is a braking surface on the rim

No there isn't!

They are disc only, the clue is in the model number XR4.1D, D is for disc.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Chances are the difference between the 2 is that the 'd' model hasn't had the braking surface turned into an actual braking surface. Once the anodising is worn away it'd probably be fine, but until then they'd be seriously underpowered. Depends how much you like your wife really.
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    Thanks, as I thought really - although no real need for the condesending way that dog man replied.

The reason for the question was I had seen different comments and suggestions that they could be used - as my first post showed.

Shall get her a decent set of suitable wheels.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Merlin had some rim brake wheels for sale recently.....
    Some disc rims are the same as rim braked with just paint/anodizing left over the brake surface that is there, others are unmachined (like Mavic 117's for example) and would need a machining op to create a flat surface, others are totally different.

If the rims are machined then covered they'd probably be fine, anodizing isn't too bad for braking, paint on the other hand is deadly!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sjef
    Sjef Posts: 5
    The anodized layer can easily be removed by a proper sandpaper spinning tool. Takes about 90 minutes per wheelset working carefully. ZTR V-brake rims are not machined and anodized as standard. Braking improves when layer is removed. Braking the anodized layer is not dangerous, but the modulation is bad.