Can I replace Sora brakes with 105

agramson
agramson Posts: 3
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Newbie question - Can I replace Sora brakes on my Specialized Allez with Shimano105 as advert says:

Shimano 105 Silver 5700 Brakes

- Must be used in conjunction with ST-5700, ST-6700 or ST-7900 STIs for correct leverage ratio
- Enhanced brake arch proportions give a quicker linear response and increased power

Many thanks.

Comments

• Yes you can replace sora brakes to 105
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Strictly speaking, no you can't as the cable pull is different. Many have and got them to work OK but they will not be as good as with the correct shifters.
    The question is why do you want to do this. A set of good blocks and shoes will improve the Soras a lot. Try Koolstop Salmon or SwissStop.
  • John.T wrote:
    Strictly speaking, no you can't as the cable pull is different. Many have and got them to work OK but they will not be as good as with the correct shifters.
    The question is why do you want to do this. A set of good blocks and shoes will improve the Soras a lot. Try Koolstop Salmon or SwissStop.

Many thanks. The reason is that I need new blocks so thought I may as well buy as I will be upgrading shifters, and gears to 105 at later date. So may just buy new blocks now and upgrade all at the same time then.
  • John.T
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s104p824
    I can recommend these. Blocks in future are only £6.50 a pair and will fit the 105 when you get them. £16 a pair may seem expensive but you get £13 of blocks with them.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    One of the main differences between 105 / Sora is that Sora pads are all in one, 105 pads slide into a metal backing and work a lot better as they're stiff.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I have 9 speed Tiagra on my Allez, and had a few issues with the brakes. I upgraded to 105s and felt it made a big difference, even with stock pads.
  • John.T
    The biggest reason was probably the 105 shoes and blocks.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    I'd echo the others, switching my Tiagra brakes to Swissstop Green pads was a phenomenal upgrade for the cash. I'd do that rather than upgrade the brakes themselves.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    John.T wrote:
    The biggest reason was probably the 105 shoes and blocks.

It may well have been, but at something like £38 for the pair they weren't a lot more expensive than buying shoes and blocks would have been.

I tried the Ultegra pads with the plastic casing before changing to the 105s and still didn't like them, but the 105s have been much better. Even the pivot is better, keeping it lubed they seem to be self-centring, while the Tiagra ones needed a lot of fiddling about.
  • John.T
    The Ultegra one piece block were rubbish. I did not know you could still get them. My 10 year old Ultegra brakes have separate blocks and shoes. I would not use any other sort.