Does anybody here wear unpadded tights UNDER their bibshorts

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited December 2012 in Road general
I got my new roubaix lined waist tights the other day. I tried them on with my padded bibshorts under them , and then I tried them on with my padded bibshorts over them. I very much preferred the feel of wearing them with the bibshorts over them as everything just felt a lot more comfortable and looser. My saddle is a titanium railed San Marco Rolls so saddle issues are never going to happen. Do any of you choose to wear your bibs over unpadded tights ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• Today it was so cold I wore padded tights under padded bib shorts and it was soooooooooo comfortable and warm lol
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I am considering it. I prefer the comfort of my shorts over my bib tights.

I also have a titanium-railed San Marco Rolls - virtual high five! No, seriously. It's an amazing saddle.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Raffles
    declan1 wrote:

I also have a titanium-railed San Marco Rolls - virtual high five! No, seriously. It's an amazing saddle.

the shorts over unpadded tights just feels so much less restricted, with an uber saddle like a titanium railed san marco rolls you could sit on it all day and have no issues.......best saddle out there imo.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Raffles wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

the shorts over unpadded tights just feels so much less restricted, with an uber saddle like a titanium railed san marco rolls you could sit on it all day and have no issues.......best saddle out there imo.

Agreed. I can literally ride for ever on it without any pain or discomfort.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,021
    personally i wouldn't

the pad is designed to be in contact and avoid chafing etc. even after hours in the saddle

tights will probably have seams to chafe, plus maybe snag hairs or not transport moisture away as effectively

if the tights feel that much better, maybe the bib shorts aren't so good?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    I dont as I use chamois creme. I'd be worried about seams and chaffage too.
    I could happily ride without a pad, as long as I can avoid chaffage (creme, no seams etc)
  • Raffles
    sungod wrote:
    personally i wouldn't

the pad is designed to be in contact and avoid chafing etc. even after hours in the saddle

tights will probably have seams to chafe, plus maybe snag hairs or not transport moisture away as effectively

if the tights feel that much better, maybe the bib shorts aren't so good?

the bibs are great quality, but if I wear the tights over the bibs it just seems a lot more restrictive.
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    Tights under my shorts is a no no for me, I'm sure my soreness was due to overheating my private and surrounds

since I've ridden only with leg warmers and nothing but lycra padded bibs the area is much improved and no overheating thus no infections or sores

ive got under armour leggins and there great but not for biking they seem ok for MTB but not road maybe you not in the saddle as much with MTB where Road im always sitting down and doing more miles

next purchase is proper winter leggins with built in padding rather than 2 pieces of kit :mrgreen:
  • ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    I ride all winter with padded bibshorts over un-padded bib-longs or thermal leggings and I don't use chamois cream. I find it comfortable and warm and have never had any rubbing issues. The only thing I will say is that on rides over 80 miles I always use biblongs rather than leggins as I find the waist band in the leggins become uncomfortable after a few hours.

I have tried padded bib-longs but don't find them as comfortable (so I cut the pad out and wear them with bibshorts). Shorts this time of year are too cold for me as I do most of my riding at night when its sub zero and the roads are wet.
  • i wear some TOG thermal shorts and a top as a base layer when its really cold