Should I buy my 9 year old an adult bike?

elsupremo
elsupremo Posts: 5
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
I want to buy my daughter a bike for Christmas.

I am undecided about whether to buy a hybrid or a MTB. She will mainly be riding on cycle paths alongside me out running so I was thinking a hybrid. But I will buy myself a bike once I get christmas out the way and get some cash together again so the option of being able to ride off road is appealing about a MTB.

I havent had a bike for years and I don't really know what I am talking about.

I have been doing a bit of reading on line and I want to get her a hardtail with hydraulic brakes.

My Daughter is really tall for her age, she must be about 5ft already. I sat her on a MTB in halfords last week that was a female adult bike with a 14 inch frame and it looked/felt about right. Is it ok to buy her an adult bike at this age? or is a childs bike more suitable?

Comments

• LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    I would have though a childs bike is unsuitable for someone who is 5ft tall unless were talking about a BMX. I am pretty sure I was riding an adult bike before I was 5ft tall, can't really remember
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The best bike is one that fits, regardless of the label.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it fits, adult bikes are often better specced than kids bike. My son had a Marin full sus - adults but 13.5" at that height, although being a shorty he was a year or two older.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cheers, I thought it would be ok but wasn't sure if there might be something I was unaware of that would make it unsuitable for her,
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughter (who at 19 is just 5'3") got her first 26" wheeler at age 10 and shorter than that, your daughter will be fine, just keep the frame size down (but allow a bit for some growth!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.