No tubes rims. Can I use tubes?

stevenb
stevenb Posts: 717
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
As its been a while since coming back to the MTB world I want to clarify if it is possible to use normal inner tubes on tubeless rims?
My personal preference is to use an inner tube.
My current Bontrager Mustang wheels are tubeless ready with the tyre being stuck onto the rim but uses inner tubes.

If it will be ok to run inner tubes on tubeless rims do I therefore need to stick the tyre to the new rim or am I ok just fitting the tyre like a conventional one onto a rim?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes, fine. Your current tyres are not stuck onto the rim, fit completely as normal.
  • stevenb
    Cheers.
    They seem stuck to the rim. Fixing yesterday's puncture I could only unhook the tyre bead on one side of the rim. The levers wouldn't get under the either side.
    No problem though.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They're not, just snapped into the bead. Pull it off, toward the centre of the rim, then you'll be able to get a lever under it.
  • stevenb
    njee20 wrote:
    They're not, just snapped into the bead. Pull it off, toward the centre of the rim, then you'll be able to get a lever under it.

Thanks. That would explain the snap sound I had far fixing my puncture and inflating the tube.
    he tyre must pop into place.
    I'm so used to road bikes..... :roll: