Titus El guapo

baldymatt
baldymatt Posts: 18
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of pressing the button on on one of these
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITELGUV3 ... _air_shock

Just wondering if anybody has had any experiences with them either good/bad or indifferent.
Looks pretty good value to me especially with the ccdb.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Comments

• dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Have a look in the your mountain bikes section
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • My mate works for On-One and he raves about it....................he's just waiting for the 29'r prototype to come in so he can thrash that.
  • Thanks for the replies dudes!

I think it's gonna happen soon, a nice early Xmas present for myself! Haha!
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    they were showing as December for order, now bumped back to January. There has been reports of some issues with very low BB heights which might be why the date has been bumped back.

I am/was/still interested in getting one as well.

see here - http://forums.mtbr.com/titus/why-bottom ... 13147.html
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The CCDB air shock is a bit over hyped. It's no better than a Fox RP23 and certainly not as good as the CCDB coil shock. It's designed by Ohlins who make motorcycle suspension so they make lots of top quality coil shocks, not air shocks.
  • @booyaka thanks for that. The comments about the low bb have put me off a little. I think I'll hold off until January to see if the bb issue has been sorted out.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The CCDB air shock is a bit over hyped. It's no better than a Fox RP23 and certainly not as good as the CCDB coil shock. It's designed by Ohlins who make motorcycle suspension so they make lots of top quality coil shocks, not air shocks.

It's far more adjustable than the rp23, which you can't get anymore, and the reviews from the majority of people seem to say it walks all over an rp23 in terms of DH ride quality. Just because they make coil shocks doesn't mean they can't make an air shock, christ thats possibly the worst reason to not recommend something to someone ever!!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    It is more adjustable but not better. It's not just me, some of the reviews are a bit average.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Then surely if it's more adjustable then the set-up will be crucial to a good performance performance.

In my opinion the double barrel stuff is only a benefit if you like to fine tune your suspension and you know what you're doing with it. If you're an ape like me and just like something that bounces then a simpler RS/Fox will be more suited to you.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • rockmonkeysc
    Torres wrote:
    Then surely if it's more adjustable then the set-up will be crucial to a good performance performance.

In my opinion the double barrel stuff is only a benefit if you like to fine tune your suspension and you know what you're doing with it. If you're an ape like me and just like something that bounces then a simpler RS/Fox will be more suited to you.

The CCDB coil is actually easier to set up than a Fox DHX5 because when you adjust something it's completely independant of the other settings. You can wind in a load more high speed compression and not affect the low speed compression or rebound. There is actually a wide range of settings where it works well and following the set up tips in the manual is really easy.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Torres wrote:

The CCDB coil is actually easier to set up than a Fox DHX5 because when you adjust something it's completely independant of the other settings. You can wind in a load more high speed compression and not affect the low speed compression or rebound. There is actually a wide range of settings where it works well and following the set up tips in the manual is really easy.

So in what way does the air shock lose out then? The adjustment is the same so te damper must be pretty damn similar and the major difference is the spring, either coil or air. Yes I can see how heat build up might be an issue on WC dh courses, and before you say it that doesn't include the glorified fire road that is the cwm carn DH track. On a bike like an el guapo I'd day a CCDB air would possibly be the best shock available for it
  • rockmonkeysc
    It just feels a bit dead. The best thing about the coil shock is that it makes the back eend of the bike feel nice & lively and you can get away with relatively fast rebound. The air shock just doesn't transform the back end of the bike in the same way compared to the Fox equivilent.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    From what you've said it doesn't sound like you had it set up right.

Now I have no experience of the CCDB stuff; but my experience with a range of other decent shocks (rp23, monarch etc.) has shown me that in reality there are very few poor suspension units, the vast majority can be adjusted to suit the rider and bike. Hence I find it a bit hard to believe that a shock as adjustable as the CCDB air isn't cutting the mustard.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • rockmonkeysc
    I didn't say it was bad, it's just no better than a RP23