Hardrock to Superlight

Drzoidberg
Drzoidberg Posts: 122
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Ive slowly been pimping my 2010 hardrock over the last few years and everything has been upgraded apart from the chainset and gears. With the plan of buying a full sus frame and moving the 'bits' over, and having spotted a bargain the time has arrived!

Just got myself a Superlight frame ordered and the only part I am not to sure about is the bottom bracket/cranks which on the Hardrock is:
Chainset:
SR SunTour, square taper spline
Bottom Bracket:
Sealed cartridge, square taper

Superlight info is:
"The superlight uses a 68mm bottom bracket shell, and a 50mm chainline. Pretty much any of the newer external bottom bracket cranks will mount up without issue. The Truvativ stylo and shimano Deore XT are our favorites. If you are using an ISIS setup, you need a 68x113mm bottom bracket"

So at a guess will need to get myself a new chainset? Or can i get a bottom bracket to fit my existing crap chainset on the Superlight if the BB inst compatible?

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Why shouldn't the bottom brackets be compatible? Just measure the width of the one on your Hardrock. If it's 68mm wide then there's no problem. Though i'd still upgrade to an external bottom bracket design just because they are way better. Suntour square taper cranks are horrible. Heavy steel, non replaceable chainrings, no shift pins for smoother shifting, tiny axles, tiny ball bearings that spin quicker and wear down quicker. Get a external bottom bracketed Deore set for £39 from Rose bikes. Aluminium cranks, replaceable aluminium rings, shift pins, big hollow light weight axle and bottom bracket with large bearings. You'll notice the weight difference immediately.
  • http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:367974

These ones? Will they be compatible with my existing 3x7 Original hardrock set up?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Ouija wrote:
    tiny axles, tiny ball bearings that spin quicker and wear down quicker.
    talking crap, chances are they will out last external bearings, and if its the same size bb as the octalinks used on the sportdisc etc its 68 X 118mm
      from the man that knows
        supersonic wrote:
        Hollowtech 2 was brought about to increase the stiffness of the set up. But with existing bottom bracket shells, the cups had to be mounted outboard (to accomodate the axle), and the system requires the shell facing and preloading correctly. Square tapers were contained units and very well sealed, and they tended to last longer, but are usually heavier overall and a bit more flexy.
        Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
      • I have 7 speed cassette at the minute, will that work with 9 speed Deore Crank or not?
      • supersonic
        supersonic Posts: 82,708
        It will be fine. As will your existing crankset. I wouldn't bother upgrading it until you upgrade all the drivetrain.
      • sound advice, I think ill hang on.

Cheers for the help by the way