XTR trail pedal fell to pieces in the garage!!!

brandfreak
brandfreak Posts: 137
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

I have had the XTR trail pedal on my Yeti ASR5C for just less than a year. It's not used every weekend by any stretch of the imagination. I was in the garage today checking seat hieght and pedal position (just fitted a dropper post) when the pedal body detached from the axle. Shocked, confused and more shocked. £120 for a pedal that dies in your garage!! I have run the XT trail pedal on my Whyte hardtail for about the same time. Used much more and still solid.

It was the left pedal that "fell off" but checking the right there is "discernible" play in it too. Has anybody else had this problem? How do you fix it? Do you you think **** it and buy another pair of XT pedals instead thinking to yourself XTR is just for factory teams that need feather weights and longevity is not an issue?

Your comments and advice gratefully accepted

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yep, they _all_ do it. There's a flaw in the design which means the axle breaks just at the start of the threaded section. Send them back, you'll get a new set. My new set is waiting collection from my lbs.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    For a pedal costing £120 that's unnacceptable.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    My XTR pedals fell apart as well, Madison fixed them with exceptionally bad grace whinging about mis use and jet washing and lack of servicing. I pointed out that pedals that need stripping every 2 months are about as much use as a chocolate chain. Got them sorted threw them in a drawer and refitted my battered old Time pedals which seem to be okay after just 6 years and zero servicing. I think Shimano dropped a big one with the latest XTR pedals they just dont seem up to being used in British conditions.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Last time I buy these pedals. Have just ordered 2 pairs of XT Trail pedals for the price of 1 pair of XTR (made of cheese and other soft squishy stuff) overpriced parts.

Nuff said
  • Seems on another forum people have problems with the XTR race and trail and the XT pedals as well.

Much the same as the shit hose they fit to the brakes that are prone to leaking at the banjo.