noise from 1x10 set up

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
OK, converted to 1x10 set up. New cassette, chain, short gauge clutch mech, shifter and BB fitted top chain guide.
Now all the gears shift nicely up and down, but there is an annoying clicking sound especially when on the 32t and 36t cogs and when I put extra pressure on the pedals. I've checked the top chain guide and chain seems to be running free through it. The sound does sound like its coming from the rear. Can't see anything obvious.
Any ideas?
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Chainline? What is the measurement for the front chainline?
  • widge34
    Supersonic. What do you mean?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    measure-chainline-angled.jpg

To the middle of the seatube. 47.5-50mm is normal.
  • widge34
    Its hard to say as my seat tube kinks off to one side, but I would say its about 55mm.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    Sounds like too much, ie the chainring is too far out. This is causing the chain to run at a large angle, and probably causing the noise. 47.5-50mm is normal for most MTBs.
  • widge34
    So have the bike shop used too many spacers when attaching the BB mounted chain guide?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    Could be, depends what you have fitted.
  • widge34
    If that's the case, would the noise not be there when using the middle rear cogs? Because under normal pedalling it isn't, but if I put an extra bit of pressure when pedalling up an incline maybe the noise returns.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • widge34
    All they did regarding the front ring was to take the full chain device off and replace it with the top guide.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So what BB/ spacers/ chainguide is fitted to what width BB shell?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • widge34
    I'm not entirely sure. The BB is Hope and the top guide is from Superstar. As to if or how many spacers were used, only the bike shop would know. Sounds like I may have to take bike back to them
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • You should be able to see the spacers to count them or measure them. They are 2.5mm thick (the same as the mount for the guide).
  • widge34
    You should be able to see the spacers to count them or measure them. They are 2.5mm thick (the same as the mount for the guide).

OK.will have a look tomorrow. Cheers.
    The front ring is about 55mm out from centre of seat tube. Is this too much?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    Almost certainly yes. Is the chainring mounted on the inside or outside of the spider? Do you run a bashguard?
  • widge34
    supersonic wrote:
    Almost certainly yes. Is the chainring mounted on the inside or outside of the spider? Do you run a bashguard?

Ring on inside of spider. No bashguard
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • widge34
    Well took the bike back to bike mechanic this morning. He double checked the alignments and chain length and everything is fine. He said that the teeth on front chain ring were slightly worn. So the chain may bed in after s few more rides or a new chain ring may be needed.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds wrong to be honest.....if your chainline is over 50mm it's too big, removing 1 driveside spacer and putting it on the NDS would reduce the CL by 2.5mm.

Back to unanswered Q's, how many spacers on the drive side, plus assuming the bash is mounted there as well?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • widge34
    There are no spacers, only the thickness of the BB mounted top chain guide.it was difficult to measure the distance from seat tube to chain ring as west tube kinks off to one side and it was dark up in shed when I measured.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so .

Frame? or what is the BB width.

cranks?

any spacers at all? or is it just the chain device? what device?

does the noise go if you take the top part of the guide off? so the BB mount part is still there?

chain routed correctly?

Pictures.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown