Strava or Map my Ride

gerroffandmilkit
gerroffandmilkit Posts: 160
edited November 2013 in Road beginners
As a beginner I would like to gauge my progress on my rides out. Looking to record distances, times and comparing too.

Several apps out there offering similar and different features. I have Strava and Map my Ride at the moment and have just the one ride recorded on MMR. Haven't used Strava yet.

Any recommendations on the best app to use to give good basic info on my rides and times etc?

Many thanks.

Comments

• I've tried them both and at the moment I'm using strava. To be honest, for just tracking progress either will do but I like strava because I can see my progress on the segments against other people (pretty poor!!) just use one and stick with it
  • STRAVA is all you will need

start using it and you wont turn back fella
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Never used map my ride, but strava is pretty good, and straightforward to use.

It tracks all your time, distance etc, and is a great training tool.

You can also compare your results with your mates and follow other folks, if you're into that kind of thing!
  • Strava gets my vote too
    Does all tracking you need plus segments add sprint training to my rides! Ready made interval training on my regular route.
    Triban 3
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Another vote for strava,I only got it to keep a personal record but you cant help trying harder on the segments,which i guess is a useful training tool.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • I use Endomondo pro & have found it to be very good
    PS I realised the title was Strava or Map My Ride
  • Having used both, there are a zillion reasons for saying go with Strava.
    I blog a bit, and MMR wound me up so much that I actually wrote a whinge and moan post about how much it pissed me off, and I don't normally do that sort of thing, so it must be bad!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/04/5-reasons-why-mapmyride-sucks/
    Alan
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites
  • i have used both.and strava would win every time.the segments are so addictive the thrill of gettin a kom is great and even better when you get beaten you try extra hard next time on that segment.it makes my rideing so more enjoyable.
  • I use Endomondo as Strava doesn't have an app for my windows phone.
    I like Endomondo as it gives a time split for each mile but I always upload the data to Strava for the segments.

Overall Strava is the one to be with IMO.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • I used Endomondo for a while - I liked the mile splits, and I also liked the way you it had a 20s countdown timer for the start. However I stopped using it the third time it mysteriously failed to record the ride. Not had a a Strava failure yet.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • +1 for Endomondo. You can change the delay start to many different settings too. Very handy to do the last minute admin before setting off. I like how you get updates as you go (splits etc). I use the pro one and people are able to track you and give 'encouragement' such as hurry up dinners ready!

It also allows some Fartlek trg or other training plans too.

One of the main reasons for Endomondo for me is I can use it with many other sports (although I don't count running as sport it is useful for that).

I don't dislike Strava it just doesn't suit my needs as much.
  • Map my ride has segments called courses. You can create a map which you can download and it keeps track of your exercise if you so desire.

I know STRAVA is the one, but then MapMyRide has fewer users ....... so I can bag the courses pretty damn quick ;)
  • I prefer Strava. I found MapMyRide drained the battery on my iPhone to the point where anything over 3 hrs I'd get home with only 3-4% of battery left and thankful I didn't have to make an emergency call!
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    I have used both on an android phone. Now using Strava. MMR was not stable and lost my ride data far too often. It also pounded the battery, Strava seems much better in that respect.
  • Hello, i'm a student from University of Madeira (Portugal), can you please help me and take this survey from MapMyRide?
    Its very important to me
    Thanks

https://pt.surveymonkey.com/s/VZKDTYZ
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    When I first got a road bike and an iphone I used MMR. It was good at the time as it was the only thing I knew. When I found Strava I stopped using MMR. The two biggest issues with MMR is the fact that I can't export my rides and upload them anywhere else and more importantly no one else in my area uses MMR so the competitive element is not there. A third issue with MMR is how awkward the site is create segments (can't remember the MMR name for these). A fourth is that you can get to the top of a leaderboard merely because you ride it the most, they tend to shy away from speed, I don't know if this has changed but this seems a pointless achievement and I don't want people knowing how often I ride segments.

Strava is far from perfect but I'd suggest it is way better than MMR.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Map my ride has segments called courses. You can create a map which you can download and it keeps track of your exercise if you so desire.

I know STRAVA is the one, but then MapMyRide has fewer users ....... so I can bag the courses pretty damn quick ;)

Ha ha, I was going to say the same :D - you get the equivalent of 'segments' on MapMyRide but as you say, fewer fellow users means I'm a lot nearer the top on leaderboards and top of some, whereas I count being in the top 25% as an acheivement for me on Strava!! The android MapMyRide app also says "hello" when you start it up and "goodbye" when you turn it off - which is nice! :) All that said, I stopped using it a few months ago and went back to Strava, the novelty of being top of the leaderboards soon wears off and IMHO, Strava is the better of the two. As others have said, there are also others, but I haven't tried them.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • If you're just looking to track your own rides it makes little difference but as said the social aspect is important and for that what matters is how many people are using it, and for that Strava is the winner.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Strava all the way. I have had a look at other options but Strava works for me and seems to be engineered to a much higher level than the others. More features, better user experience and more stable. T

You say now that all you want to do is track your rides but after a few rides with Strava you will no doubt be chasing down segments
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited October 2013
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    Strava all the way. I have had a look at other options but Strava works for me and seems to be engineered to a much higher level than the others. More features, better user experience and more stable. T

You say now that all you want to do is track your rides but after a few rides with Strava you will no doubt be chasing down segments

Not necessarily but segments are a very useful way to track personal progress.

I started out using Endomondo and kept thinking; well I'll have to do that exact same ride again to see how much faster I am, or work out how much faster I was up that hill - manually doing what Strava does automatically.
  • bagz3
    bagz3 Posts: 253
    Strava all day long, great motivational tool.
  • I use Endomondo as Strava doesn't have an app for my windows phone.
    I like Endomondo as it gives a time split for each mile but I always upload the data to Strava for the segments.

Overall Strava is the one to be with IMO.
    i use runtastic on my windows phone and i like that a lot
    can use the gpx files in strava so u get the best of both worlds from the limited windows phone
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Strava but be careful segment chasing as you can cause injuries through not warming up properly or just over doing it.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Am I right in thinking that a route tracked with Endomondo can be uploaded to Strava and I'll be able to see the segments on Strava? I suffer from having a crappy Windows phone that won't support Strava.
  • fatsmoker wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that a route tracked with Endomondo can be uploaded to Strava and I'll be able to see the segments on Strava? I suffer from having a crappy Windows phone that won't support Strava.

Yes; that's exactly what I do with all my rides. Track is with Endomondo then export the GPX using my PC and import into Strava.

(I've spend a long time trying to figure out a way to transfer between the two using only my iPhone with no success)
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585

Yes; that's exactly what I do with all my rides. Track is with Endomondo then export the GPX using my PC and import into Strava.

(I've spend a long time trying to figure out a way to transfer between the two using only my iPhone with no success)

So just do the cross over on your computer when you get back. Coolio; at last a chance to tackle a couple of segments with my pannier on.
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    I use Endomondo, keep my phone in my back pocket (with screen off) and it lasts a good 4 hours. It calls out data (voice) every mile and uploads to endomondo site automatically.

I then export to Strava, as I like the comparisons this gives me against friends, but Endomondo actually gives me better average data over time so compliments Strava nicely.
  • Neil_aky wrote:
    I use Endomondo, keep my phone in my back pocket (with screen off) and it lasts a good 4 hours. It calls out data (voice) every mile and uploads to endomondo site automatically.

I then export to Strava, as I like the comparisons this gives me against friends, but Endomondo actually gives me better average data over time so compliments Strava nicely.

I do the same. Except I tend to use an external battery so power's not an issue.
  • I'm a first time Strava user. Actually just yesterday I used it on my ride. Can't complain, very easy to use. And got all what I need. I'm not at the competitive/pro level so this is good enough for me.

Only downside is I need to have my data on throughout the ride. Are there tricks and tips for using strava?
  • chsantiago wrote:

Only downside is I need to have my data on throughout the ride. Are there tricks and tips for using strava?

You mean your mobile data connection? You don't need to have it on at all. All you need is a data or wifi connection at the end or at some point to sync your ride to Strava.