First 30 miles

dai_t75
dai_t75 Posts: 189
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
So I managed my first 30 miles today:

http://app.strava.com/activities/30387869

Not the quickest... and pretty damn ugly, but I got round eventually. Also came up against my first proper headwind. Was up a slight incline and just felt as if I was going no where! Very demoralising!

What made it slightly sweeter for me was going from this ride just over a month ago

http://app.strava.com/activities/26196424

Where I was more or less sick by the side of the road, makes you realise just how quick you can improve (I do realise I still have got a long way to go).

So chin up anyone just starting out/dying by the side of the road as I was, it will come! Now aiming for the 40...

Anyone else reach any milestones today?

Comments

• Yep. Went home after 7miles due to 30mph gusts that weren't in any particular direction.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Nice one,thats a big improvement you,ve made.Reckon that 40 will come along pretty soon at your rate of progression.Keep us updated on the progress,as its always good to see other newbies efforts.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • great milestone well done. keep it up fella
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Well done! Might want to enable the Strava privacy settings though.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Funny enough I did my first 30.7 miles today moving time 2hrs 10 mins calories a whopping 2000 legs are a bit stiff tonight, going to do 12 miles tomorrow to loosen up.
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Well done on your milestone dai! I did my first 50 miler yesterday after doing a couple of mid 30 rides earlier in the month... Legs are tired today but it feels great doesn't it !!
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    Cheers all, yeah it feels pretty good even if I am a bit tired at the moment!
    Well done! Might want to enable the Strava privacy settings though.

:oops: I thought I had? Under privacy settings I have got my postcode as a hidden location?
  • well done mate.if possible ride with others take turns sheltering from wind makes all the diffrence.im pretty sure your mileage will start rapidly increasing from now on.keep it up
  • dai_t75 wrote:
    Cheers all, yeah it feels pretty good even if I am a bit tired at the moment!
    Well done! Might want to enable the Strava privacy settings though.

:oops: I thought I had? Under privacy settings I have got my postcode as a hidden location?
    Actually my bad. Maybe you have, and it's just looks like you start and finish at somewhere that looks like a residential address!!

Might be worth copying the link to the ride, and pasting it into a different browser that doesn't keep you logged into Strava - and just verifying that the start and end points when not logged in appear a decent distance away from where you actually started and finished.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • FlacVest
    FlacVest Posts: 100
    Yep; yesterday I did my first 20/20
    20 miles at 20 mph.

I worked my ass off to get that. Very exciting.

If anything, I'd say to keep your milage around 30 and push yourself to go faster; see how fast you can do a 10 mile loop/20 mile loop. Then work on improving that over and over.

If you focus on that, you'll improve, save time (won't be on the bike all day), and when you do decide to do a 30/40/50 mile ride, you'll do it at a much higher pace.

Good on you though; after a while you'll hit 30 as an average ride on the weekend.