New Freehub advice

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have a halo combat rim with an ID freehub (9sp). I want to replace the freehub.

Will any 9 speed freehub work or does it need to be an ID one (think the ID one has loose bearings, does this matter)?

Can anyone recommend a good one for under £40 ish.

what's involved in changing a freehub body and are any special tools required?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most hubs have proprietary freehubs, so you most likely need the same again. What is the model of hub?
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    You need the one that came off it. They don't usually have options. Is it an ID hub? Ask your local shop if you are not sure. ID is a UK supplier.
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    It is an ID hub, and I've found somewhere I can get a new freehub body for a halo combat wheel for about £15.

Apart from the freehub body, is there anything else I'd need to replace at the same time (bearings - which apparently are loose bearings)?

Next question is - is it hard to replace?

I want to replace it because there is play in the freehub body (I know it should move slightly but it's moving more than it should), and in all honesty I'd had the wheel for a couple of years and never touched it (ie maintained it like I should). Because of that, I wouldn't be surprised if the bearings could do with replacing so I thought it may be better to replace it anyway.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have a look here: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ub-service

FWIW Shimano freehubs are easy to replace - remove the axle and unscrew the freehub using a 10mm allen key. Personally I've yet to find any significant wear on the ball bearings or the shells just repack them with quality grease and make sure they spin buttery smooth. The only reason I've had to replace them is when the pawls have broken.