Cutting back nettles and thorns, park protection service

3Bears
3Bears Posts: 65
edited December 2012 in MTB general
Some of the nettles and thorns on my local route were starting to encroach on the trail and I was getting very scratched up. I thought I'd bring use some small (hand) garden secateurs and trim it back. It was done in no time (about a 50 foot stretch of overgrown thorns) and was pleased that I wouldn't have to worry about it until next summer. On my return I was surprised to find what looked like four police men (they were in fact the Parks Protection Service) scouting along the trail. They told me there had been a report of someone "chopping down trees".

So, let that be a warning to anyone doing even the very minimal amount of trail maintenance. I do wish that whoever reported me would have just approached me (I saw no one) and voiced his concerns rather than calling the authority.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    dafuq son?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure what you did wrong, it's hardly criminal damage to cut back something that's overgrowing a throughway..... Maybe someone reported something they thought was happening.....different to what was happening.... Did you ask them if they'd found any cut down trees?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 3Bears
    To be honest I was so surprised, my mind went blank, but, yeah that's what I should of said.

My days of trail maintenance are definitely coming to a middle.
  • dafuq son?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I'd ask the Park guys whether they mind you cutting back the nettles... if they say 'no' then you have permission and you've established a rapport with them; if they ask you not to do anything on the trail then you can ask them very nicely if they wouldn't mind doing some maintenance as it's getting a bit overgrown - they may even reconsider.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Was it a bridleway/footpath or a trail which had been created without the land owners permission?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Unfortunately its not for you to decide what is wanted or not wanted on land belonging to another. But you would have had a defence against criminal damage, though, as long as you had convinced plod that you had an honest belief that they would not have objected under the circumstances.

The point about the status of the right of way is also important. However, even if its an unrestricted highway, you have no authority to carry out maintenance.

My suggestion would be to put some long trousers on. ;)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just MTFU - chicks dig scars.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Assuming that the trail is a legitimate right of way, there is a world of difference in legal eyes between thwacking nettles and brambles with a stick in order to pass through and "going equipped" with secateurs to do some pre-planned pruning.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • OP, well done. Its their own fault for not doing the necessary maintenance. If the parks protection service employed more maintenance people instead of useless 'inspectors' then the routes would be much better maintained. Four (!!) inspectors sent just to check out a bit of hedgerow! Is it any wonder taxes in this country are out of control.
  • rockmonkeysc
    OP, well done. Its their own fault for not doing the necessary maintenance. If the parks protection service employed more maintenance people instead of useless 'inspectors' then the routes would be much better maintained. Four (!!) inspectors sent just to check out a bit of hedgerow! Is it any wonder taxes in this country are out of control.

If it's not a legitimate right of way then they have no responsibility to maintain it
  • 3Bears
    I believe this was a bridleway/footpath - it is heavily cut back once every September, before which point it is in such a state it is as if no path ever existed - a sudden wall of bramble, thorns and nettles for 50 to 100 foot, after which it's fine. It's shocking just how quickly it begins to grow back.

Does anyone know who to contact when it gets badly overgrown?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    The local council... I think they are responsible for clearing rights of way.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    Only on people at LEAST 20 years younger than you though...... and me for that matter!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    Only on people at LEAST 20 years younger than you though...... and me for that matter!
    Sadly true. But at least I still have my memories and a dirty mind.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    3Bears wrote:
    I believe this was a bridleway/footpath - it is heavily cut back once every September, before which point it is in such a state it is as if no path ever existed - a sudden wall of bramble, thorns and nettles for 50 to 100 foot, after which it's fine. It's shocking just how quickly it begins to grow back.

Does anyone know who to contact when it gets badly overgrown?

If it's hedgerows you are talking about then they cannot be cut back before September. Hedgerows are protected during the summer to allow wildlife to nest and breed.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Someone did exactly the same to me- turns out the person who lives in the house right beside the footpath doesn't like people using it, so is delighted when it gets overgrown. Police went off to have a quiet word with them instead.

Apparently the kids digging up at the local downhill spot had a huge police turnout one time as a walker reported someone was digging a grave :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have had some funny looks when people have seen me walking in to the woods carrying a shovel and an axe at 7:00am. If you walk along muttering about how it was her fault, she shouldn't have burnt the cake they look even more worried.