Winter Kit Choice

2»

Comments

• Could we have some clarity on mild / cold / REALLY cold / feck-it's-FREEZING / dead?

Mild is anything over 8
    Cold is 5 ish
    Really cold is below freezing
    FECK-ME is -5
    Kieransicle is -10

I managed -8 last year with only my hands and feet giving me grief, I have overshoes and thicker gloves this year
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Well if we're talking proper cold, at -14 degrees a couple of years ago I wore:

Aldi winter hat
    Aldi Buff
    Aldi Soft-shell jacket
    Aldi long-sleeved jersey
    Aldi thermal long-johns
    Biemme Coronado Bib tights (still wear these most days in the winter - top class)
    SealSkinz lobster gloves
    Two pairs of socks
    Hiking boots

Lovely toasty-warm.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Socks: Craft (Aldi) Ski Socks
    Bibs: DHB Pace Roubaix Tights/ or Shorts with veon roubaix leg warmers
    Base layer: Craft compression or LS merino
    Jersey: Short sleeve Summer.
    Shoes: DHB
    Overshoes: Planet X
    Gloves: Planet X or DHB Extreme
    Headwear: D2B buff and head band
    Jacket: Craft Winter.

Never really get cold! might put on an extra baselayer if its particularly nippy.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Could we have some clarity on mild / cold / REALLY cold / feck-it's-FREEZING / dead?

Mild is anything over 8
    Cold is 5 ish
    Really cold is below freezing
    FECK-ME is -5
    Kieransicle is -10

So I'm in the Cold to Really cold most of the time with regular forays into FECK-ME and the occasional trip into Meansicle. Over 8 is positively balmy and is otherwise known as "Summer"
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    it was around 0 degrees this morning, I wore:

Gore Phantom softshell jacket
    Aldi softshell jacket underneath that (it's a snugger fit, but with shorter sleeves than the Gore so it's good as a kind of halfway house between jersey and jacket.)
    Endura Baabaa merino wool l/s baselayer
    Louis Garneau gloves (can't remember the name but there's a weatherproof outer and a removable thermal liner.
    DHB Roubaix fleecy bib-tights.
    Specialized Defroster shoes and wooly booly socks.

I was a bit too warm today, it was definitely less cold than the end of last week.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Slazenger hi-viz trainers - if its icy: My Genesis has Shimano dual-sided pedals
    otherwise Muddy Fox Shoes (£22 from Sports Direct)
    Muddy Fox Tights or Umbro 3/4 shorts
    Altura Nevis If its really cold or Muddy Fox jacket
    works t-shirt
    View From base layer
    Pro gloves from LBS when its really cold or Prendas hi-viz gloves
    Helmet when its icy otherwise Castelli beanie

Must go, I think the fashion police are here..............................................
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • I won't bore you all with a list of my chosen clobber, but I did want to mention my single favourite piece of winter kit: the free buff I got with Cycling Plus last year!

Having found it to be incredibly useful, but not being a massive fan of the styling (lots of little spanners and chainrings) I thought I'd buy a proper one for around £13 made by - um - Buff. The thing is, though, the freebie is way better. It has better elastication (that is a word, right?), so is less likely to slip off your nose. It doesn't get stinky anywhere near as quickly as the Buff one. It doesn't absorb moisture and go soggy so readily. It feels easier to breathe through. It's possibly warmer, and is certainly softer . It really is a little piece of awesome. I'm sure one magazine or another will give one away at some point, and I cannot recommend you grab one highly enough.
  • When you say "it won't slip off your nose", do you wear it as some sort of mask? Or a blindfold? (sorry, couldn't resist the blindfold bit :wink: ). Is that for warmth or pollution?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    My winter kit.

Mild cold - above 5c but below 10c

Jersey/Jacket - Gore Bike Wear Xenon 2.0 Softshell Long Sleeve Jersey for long rides and Gore Bike Wear Power Thermo Jersey for commutes
    Baselayer - Craft Zero Extreme Men's Crewneck or Prendas Long Sleeve Base Layer for warmer rides
    Bibshorts - DHB Vaeon Roubaix Bibshorts with Gore or Lusso Knee warmers if its closer to 10c and DHB Vaeon Bib Tights if its closer to 5c
    Gloves Merino inners + Gore Bike Wear Mistral
    Socks - Defeet Wooleators
    Overshoes - Pro H2O Tarmac or Endure depending the type of shoe I am wearing
    Hat Endura Winter Hat

Cold - from 0c to 5c

Jersey/Jacket - Gore Bike Wear Xenon 2.0 Softshell Long Sleeve Jersey or Gore Bike Wear Oxygen Soft Shell Jacket
    Baselayer - Trespass 190g Merino Baselayer
    Bibshorts - DHB Vaeon Bib Tights or Gore Oxygen SO Bib Tights
    Gloves Altura inners + Gore Bike Wear Mistral or Altura Night Vision Evo Waterproof Gloves
    Socks - Prendas Thermolite
    Hat Endura Winter Hat
    Buff - Cycling Plus Buff or the one that comes with the Gore Oxygen jacket

brrrrrrbbb - very cold 0 to -5 and further

Jersey/Jacket - Gore Bike Wear Oxygen Soft Shell Jacket
    Baselayer - Craft Warm Circular Knit Merino Wool Base Layer
    Bibshorts - Gore Oxygen SO Bib Tights
    Gloves Altura inners + Altura Night Vision Evo Waterproof Gloves
    Socks - Prendas Thermolite
    Hat Endura Winter Hat
    Buff - Cycling Plus Buff or the one that comes with the Gore Oxygen jacket
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    This morning for -3

Altura baselayer LS
    HH baselayer SS
    Polaris niterider thermal LS
    Aldi winter jacket from a few years ago
    Aldi skull cap of the same vintage as the jacket
    Craft standard cap
    Random buff
    DHB vaeon bibs and tights
    PX Thick merino socks
    Shimano spd shoes
    BBB speedflex overshoes
    defeet wooly gloves as liners
    altura nightvision gloves

took 10 mins to get upto temp and when I did I was warm all over, before that my finger tips complained a little
  • This morning (at -2C), I saw a chap cycling through Brixton in shorts and a t-shirt... shiver.....
  • When you say "it won't slip off your nose", do you wear it as some sort of mask? Or a blindfold? (sorry, couldn't resist the blindfold bit :wink: ). Is that for warmth or pollution?

Worn around neck and then pulled up to rest on the bridge of the nose. Fantastic for keeping your face warm. I look like a really crap Ninja.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I dressed perfectly for this morning's conditions but I was cursing my choice as I sweated my way out of London this evening. Fortunately the headwind picked up and it started to sleet.

Lets just let that last sentence sink in. I think I have lost some marbles somewhere along the road.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Asprilla wrote:
    I dressed perfectly for this morning's conditions but I was cursing my choice as I sweated my way out of London this evening. Fortunately the headwind picked up and it started to sleet.

Lets just let that last sentence sink in. I think I have lost some marbles somewhere along the road.
    Welcome to my world
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    When you say "it won't slip off your nose", do you wear it as some sort of mask? Or a blindfold? (sorry, couldn't resist the blindfold bit :wink: ). Is that for warmth or pollution?

Worn around neck and then pulled up to rest on the bridge of the nose. Fantastic for keeping your face warm. I look like a really crap Ninja.

I do the same and drop it at lights without the wind chill I get too warm, helps with asthma as im not breathing in cold air as much
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A tight fitting football shirt as a base layer. A 6 quid thin fleece as my mid layer. Golf jacket as top layer (wind/waterproof/breathable thing). Tracksuit bottoms or golf trousers. Socks. Walking shoes. Gloves I got free with MBUK. Bell Slant helmet. Cree XML torches.
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Welcome to my world

Mine too much of the autumn and spring. Not at the moment though - it's even been colder on one or two rides home - especially when you add in the NE headwind and the sleet
  • supersonic wrote:
    A tight fitting football shirt as a base layer. A 6 quid thin fleece as my mid layer. Golf jacket as top layer (wind/waterproof/breathable thing). Tracksuit bottoms or golf trousers. Socks. Walking shoes. Gloves I got free with MBUK. Bell Slant helmet. Cree XML torches.

:mrgreen: someone else without any fancy name kit

hardnutz ink in water road lid
    mountain warehouse ss base layer
    decathlon ls mid layer
    lidl cycling jacket
    lidl longs
    lidl cycling socks
    northwave spd shoes
    bbb 'heavy duty' overshoes.
    smart lunar 25lux front + rear set
    dx cree led lenser
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    supersonic wrote:

I bought the fleece that I use the most, in 1994 :oops: but it was fairly high spec then.