Bike in a BMW Coupe?

unixnerd
unixnerd Posts: 2,864
edited December 2012 in Road general
I'm thinking about getting an E46 Coupe to replace my E36 328i touring but was wondering how easy it is to get a road bike in with the rear seats folded down? I don't need to put a bike into the car often but my touring makes it very easy, I don't fancy a bike rack so if it won't fit I'll just get another touring.

I had an E36 318iS Coupe for ten years but never tried to get a bike into it!
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

Comments

• Never had a problem with my old 3 series as long as you take the front wheel off. It fitted in diagonally well enough.

Mine was a 2003 model.
  • I'd be very suprised if it didn't fit, I can ( just ) get my Triban 3 in my N reg Micra with the back seats down
  • I can fit my Allez in the back of my 2000 e46 coupe with the wheels off easy enough.
  • unixnerd
    Excellent, thanks for the advice guys :-)
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I can fit a road bike in the back of my dad's Peugeot 207 with the rear seats folded down and both wheels off the bike. The 207 is a little eco-box so I would imagine you could fit a bike into a BMW...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • unixnerd
    I know I can fit it length wise as the coupe is the same length as my touring. The reason I asked is because the clearance under the rear window on the coupe is much lower.
  • mikeouk
    mikeouk Posts: 148
    ive got an 2007 e92 coupe , the seats dont fold down in mine, but ive managed to get a road bike on the back seat with both wheels out. Wasnt happy doing it because my car has cream leather, but it was a new bike and i put cardboard on the seat to protect it.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I can get my bike in my Kia Picanto with the wheels on, so you probably can't in a 3 series BMW :evil:
  • I had a E46 328CI..... never shoulda sold it. id of thought it will fit.
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Scott Speedster S55
  • Honda CRV. Bike slots straight in easily with wheels on and just 1/3 of rear seats down. Easy peasy.
  • chances are it will fit but if not why not use a bike rack?
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    I managed to get my TT bike, a pair of wheels, race kit, and a wheelchair in the back of my E92 coupe. And all that's without putting the back seats down! A spare set of wheels and 2 weekend bags on the back seat and away we went to a Rudy Project event for a long weekend.

For a coupe there's loads of bloody room in them. When I travel to races by myself, I normally put the back seats down and my kit and bike rattles around.

First Beemer I've had after having loads of Alfa's. I'll definately get another BMW - the Coupe is superb
  • unixnerd
    chances are it will fit but if not why not use a bike rack?

Because twice a week my journey goes over The Lecht, a mountain pass that's covered in salt and grit half the year. My winter car is filthy as a result. I'd rather keep the bike clean. I work in Aberdeen and keep a bike through there. But I need to take it back to service it now and then.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah road and MTB fitted fine in my 2002 E46 330ci, not both at the same time though ;) had the HK upgrade on mine and it still fitted easily underneath the speaker shelf. Only hassle I found with the road bike was I couldn't use a front mudguard as you need to twist the bars. Changed to an Octavia estate now though and it's much easier ;)