What Bike?

davethedrummer
davethedrummer Posts: 5
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
Just a bit of advice required re a bike purchase. I'm fairly new to mountain biking but reasonably fit for being the wrong side of forty. I've got a few UK Cycling Event road sportive and mtb events under my belt now and I'm looking for a decent all-round hard tail. At 5ft9, being of medium build, shorter in the body and slightly longer in the leg, I've concluded that I'm looking for a size 26" wheel, medium frame with not too long a top tube.
The short list, according to budget, is as follows and your opinions will be much appreciated:

Scott Scale 60, 50 or 40, 2012
Scott Scale 650, 2013 (slightly more than I can really afford)
Genesis Core 26.5 Core 2012
Cannondale Flash F3 Aluminium 2012
Cannondale Trail SL1 2012

Many thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links to what you are looking at would help - people don't memorise spec and stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Looking at these you seem to have a max budget of £1300 Or £1000?

If you want "decent all-round hard tail" then id say the Genesis. Really nice fork and brakes.
    For racier id go for the Scale 40 2011 from Pauls cycles for 1k.

I would advise looking at the Radon from Bike-discount.de and the Canyon Range from Canyon cycles. These will give the same spec as the others but for a lot less money.
  • Thanks 70\'sPenguin - very helpful.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    looking for a size 26" wheel, medium frame with not too long a top tub

Not the best conclusion I am afraid - you need to try some out. 'Medium' is a massive variation, as is any listed 'size'.
  • Thanks Supersonic, the advice is appreciated. A purchase from a local supplier where I can try the bike out for size has always made sense to me, but with so much information available on the internet regarding reviews and best prices I've (rightly or wrongly) been drawn to products that are being sold via the internet in far away places.
    I've managed to try out a Scott Scale 60 size medium locally, so I guess I can compare its geometry against the geometry of other products of interest nationally. It's not ideal but not all of the products of interest are stocked in my area - a common dilemma for many no doubt.
    I've already made one expensive mistake (the purchase of a Specialized Carve 29er that I didn't get on with, despite trying it out from a local store) so I can't really afford to make another. As you can hopefully appreciate - it's a bit of a minefield for a novice. Perhaps a more expensive, lower specification bike from a local dealer is the way forward? At least then I get to try it out and I have the after sales service close to hand.

Thanks also to Cooldad - comments taken on board for any future postings.
  • You wont be happy with a lesser spec and paying more money for it though. Go sit on as many bikes as you can. doesnt matter what they are or how expensive. find ones you like and make a note of them. Look up their geometry and then look at the bikes you do like online and see what matches. No its not perfect and yes you could still make a mistake, but its something to consider.

There are many people who are happy with their bikes who have never sat on them pre-purchase. Its totally up to you, but you can reduce much of the risk if you do your research.
  • Cheers 70\'sPenguin. Sounds like a good way forward.